Ever been "paced" by a "gawker"?

TeeCat I'm guilty I've been that crazy stalker. I followed a 69 Kawasaki mach iii for miles. He had to think I was crazy but it was beautiful. He stopped at a gas station and we talked for 15 minutes and he told me to stop by his shop sometime. I waited a few days so I didn't look like a nutcase. He restores Kawasaki triples and honda dreams and we have become good friends.

Bill, they do seem to awaken a nostalgic muse in the more "broken in" crowd, don't they? :p And even the younger ones who have never seen an older bike seem to get a big kick.

Funny, though... one guy at work, the last time I had her there, just could not figure out what my decompression lever was for love nor money. When I told him it was a primitive electric start, he was just gobsmacked... he got the biggest charge out of that. :p

TC

Some of the first diesel trucks I drove still used compression releases-- most truck drivers think me crazy when I talk about them. Considering electrics and batteries back then it really was a good thing to have even if you didn't need it.

I've done it too, bergoff. :p I was late for work one day because I paced a 427 AC Cobra replica a good bit out of my way.

Bill, when the previous owner of my bike (a collector in whose shop it was just sitting gathering dust) explained the decompression lever to me, I thought it was the weirdest thing! But I use it occasionally when the bike is warm, and it lights her off right away.

TC

I've done it too, bergoff. :p I was late for work one day because I paced a 427 AC Cobra replica a good bit out of my way.

Bill, when the previous owner of my bike (a collector in whose shop it was just sitting gathering dust) explained the decompression lever to me, I thought it was the weirdest thing! But I use it occasionally when the bike is warm, and it lights her off right away.

TC

I wish I had one. It would no doubt save batteries, starters and kicker legs.

I'm not sure about batteries or starters, really. Seems to me that using it from cold would place quite a load on the battery and starter... not sure, really. I treat it like kind of a novelty, but it does work beautifully from hot.

TC

When I see paced and gawker I think the ending to Easy Rider.

I'm not sure about batteries or starters, really. Seems to me that using it from cold would place quite a load on the battery and starter... not sure, really. I treat it like kind of a novelty, but it does work beautifully from hot.

TC

Actually, easier cold starting is the reason for a compression release. It reduces the load on batteries and starters.

My SRX600 has a compression release hooked to the kick start lever so when the lever is kicked it decompresses the big ol 600cc single. You can see the cable running up from the lever along under the frame up to the head.
IMG_00462.jpg

^You've posted that before. I like that bike. Good blend of old and new style.

My SRX600 has a compression release hooked to the kick start lever so when the lever is kicked it decompresses the big ol 600cc single. You can see the cable running up from the lever along under the frame up to the head.
IMG_00462.jpg

Question: Does that engine have a counter balance shaft and is there much vibration? My last experience with a single was a 500 BSA and it vibrated like crazy to the point that it was downright painful. Thankfully it threw the rod out the bottom and saved me.

It does have a counter-balance. It still does have some vibration but to me it only comes through at certain rpms. Not bad though. It shares the motor with the XT600. It's not a screamer with about 40 hp but is narrow and light. Fast enough for me and I have only ever seen one other in person. Kick start only though. I ride it to work every day. Not hard to start once I got the knack. And the Super Trap muffler is music to my ears.

Great story TC. I haven't been "paced" yet but, given that my bike is a bit of a rat (who needs paint when you have primer and cool stickers?), I'm surprised by the attention it gets.

First was the guy who pulled up on my left at a stoplight and practically crawled from the driver's seat, across his girlfriend on the passenger side to give me a big, goofy grin and a thumbs up. He was a pretty young guy too - wasn't even born when my '74 TX rolled off the line. Hell, I was only 12...

More interesting was the respect I got last weekend at my local Harley Davidson dealership. I live in a small, fairly affluent suburb of Chicago. I was looking for exhaust clamps to mount $10 glasspacks to my new pipes. Yeah, I'm a cheap bastard but they sound soooooo sweet. Checked my local auto parts stores and although they showed 1/34" clamps on their websites, none had them in stock or could even tell me if they were available special order. I decided it couldn't hurt to run over to the Harley dealership. When I rode in there were a couple of "Harley Guys" hanging in the lot - brand new black leather vests nearly as shiny as the chrome on their unmuffled drag pipes. They didn't even seem to notice as I pulled in. Maybe my bike wasn't loud enough?

I went in, spotted the parts counter across the cavernous lobby and surprisingly, found exactly the clamps I was looking for at a competitive price. When I came back out there were a couple of scruffy, laid back looking guys sitting outside, smiling and nodding appreciatively in my direction. Sure my bike was rough, but it was undeniably lean and athletic looking compared to the low, thick behemoths surrounding it. I walked over to the bike, kicked it to life and an old timer who had been checking it out said to me, questioningly, "TX650. '74, right?". Given that the sheet metal is rattlecan primer gray, it has '77 35mm forks, similar vintage caliper, drag bars and a seat of unknown origin, I was shocked he nailed it like that. Maybe the looped passenger foot peg mounts gave it away? "Great bike." he added before shuffling away.

Somehow, that added new perspective to the hours I spent cleaning the wasp nests out of the handlebar switches and the rodent nest (with attendant rodent sh!t) out of the headlight bucket of my first "project" bike. There's still a lot of work to do - it might even get paint one day - but it's worth all the effort when you crack the throttle and listen to it growl as you snap upward through the gears on a cool, late summer day...

Bill, those little starter motors just sound so sad, though. :( :p

pumps... I remember when you bought that bike. You were justifiably excited! :) (I have two Supertrapps on my little quarter-liter Ninja. Little parallel twin sounds the business with those on there, and you can literally tune from the back to avoid re-jetting!)

Dave -

First was the guy who pulled up on my left at a stoplight and practically crawled from the driver's seat, across his girlfriend on the passenger side to give me a big, goofy grin and a thumbs up. He was a pretty young guy too - wasn't even born when my '74 TX rolled off the line. Hell, I was only 12...

This painted a picture for me... tickled the snot out of me when I read it. :p

And that was a stellar account of the Harley dealer experience, and the initial clean-up you had to do! Been there and got that tee shirt, mate... except my bike was indoors and literally sitting on a shelf for about 6 years, rotting from inattention. Great story, Dave! :)

TC

I like reading your posts. Not only are they informative but they are very well written. A pleasure to read.
Leo

I was paced just the other day. Was cruising along Rt. 66 in VA. A Ford Explorer was on my left just in my blind spot. I could see him out the corner of my eye but not in my mirror. I figured that we was just taking a quick glance then move on. But he stayed there for like 5 Miles. I sped up he sped up I slowed down he slowed down. After another 5 miles of him just pacing me causing traffic to jam up behind us. I finally turned to look at him as to say WTF. The guy had had the passenger window down and his cell phone at arm’s length videoing me the entire time. I yelled, "And Cut" dropped a gear, rolled the throttle and took off into the sun set.

It felt good to be the center of attention but some shit head behind us could of got seriously pissed off at the rubber necking going on and passed me on the shoulder or something else stupid and ruined my entire day.

Haha, thanks, Leo. :) I appreciate that. :)

Mafia, great story! You're right... that could have gotten complicated really fast, but you had an exit worthy of Cecil B. Demille! :p

Tc

Great story! :thumbsup:

Recycle Bill's bit about how people say they wish they'd never sold their old bike is something XS's have in common with the British car world, people walk up to your MG/Triumph/Morgan/etc and say 'I had one of those', or 'I had a (insert old Britmobile)' and I wish I'd never sold it'. So I'm hanging on to my XS and my Britmobile. ;)

TeeCat, on the decompressor lever it had the starter switch incorporated into it. As you pulled the lever the cable turned the shaft to open the exhaust valve a bit, then the switch engages to turn the starter.
The decompressor lever opening the exhaust valve lets the engine spin easier. This hepls even more when cold, as the engine is stiffer to turn.
I have the decompressor valve cover on my 750 kitted engine. It lets the 750 start easier. I just have to reach down and work the lever on the cover by hand, no cable or lever yet.
I had an old Yamaha DT400 that had the decompressor cable hooked into the kick start.
Leo

TeeCat, on the decompressor lever it had the starter switch incorporated into it. As you pulled the lever the cable turned the shaft to open the exhaust valve a bit, then the switch engages to turn the starter.
The decompressor lever opening the exhaust valve lets the engine spin easier. This hepls even more when cold, as the engine is stiffer to turn.
I have the decompressor valve cover on my 750 kitted engine. It lets the 750 start easier. I just have to reach down and work the lever on the cover by hand, no cable or lever yet.
I had an old Yamaha DT400 that had the decompressor cable hooked into the kick start.
Leo

Leo, thank you. I understand how it works in theory, and how it's supposed to work in practice. But I replaced all of the cables on my bike (seems I have replaced just about everything on my bike over the last 4 years :p), and I think I have the cable adjusted right, but how can I be sure that the exhaust valve is really opening? I do see the cable housing move a little when I use it.

So, anyway, you're saying don't be afraid to use it from cold? I just worry about the starter motor, voltage drain, etc., because my headlight comes on with the key, so it'd be on with the starter turning. I like it like that because there is no chance of my forgetting to turn the light off.

TC

Back