Expensive Overhaul!

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Refreshing my '79 engine is starting to add up.

Parts, yes, but that's to be expected.

It's the new toys that are killing me...:yikes:

I spent about $175 building my hot water parts washer (which works great, BTW, especially when the water/degreaser mix hits about 130°)

Dropped another $125 on a sonic cleaner big enough to get a stripped carb body in. That also appears to be working rather well. Does darken the 'luminum a bit, may soda-blast it to get it shined up. Which reminds me, I should bring my boxes of soda in to start getting them dried out. They've been out in the garage sucking moisture out of the air for a year or more.

Waiting on a $125 torque wrench to arrive for when I start reassembling. Probably could have gotten away without it, but any excuse to buy a new toy is a good excuse! :bike:

Good thing I picked up that new part-time job when I did...

Wish I had a parts washer. I use a big tub and boiling water with degreaser and big rubber gloves. Works pretty good actually. Good shop tools are fun.

Don't try this at home but.......

A dishwasher does a good job, just make sure you have taken out any crockery and your nearest and dearest is out! :D :eek:

Where in Downeast are you located. I saw a pretty good xs on Craigslist in Deer Isle. tim

Downeaster if you expense all this against this rebuild the next one will be uber cheap?
You better head to Deer Isle and check that candidate out.
By the by where is that "how I built this" thread for the washer?

I wonder if you plumbed a jetted noozle to the end of the faucet. . . would it help to wash things instead of just rinsing them?

Yes, it is always amazing to me how fast a budget can go. Especially, when paying all the shipping and handling fees and purchasing new equipment. Seems I never factor these things in until it's too late.

With regard to using the sink as a parts washer, never did that. But, I did use my oven to R&R some cylinder liners from a set of XS jugs. Wife came home and asked what the smell was...I told her straight up and she said hmm cool. :shrug: She's a keeper. :thumbsup:

I wonder if you plumbed a jetted noozle to the end of the faucet. . . would it help to wash things instead of just rinsing them?

That's one of the things I intend to experiment with.

Right now tho my brass monkeys are hiding behind the wood stove and won't come out, ifyaknowwhatimean...:yikes:

Back