Extra wires that I don't know what to do with

eman13261

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I bought the basic high-output ignition setup from mikes Part #14-0911. All the hardware is installed I just need to wire everything. I have a 1975 xs650 which originally had 2 ignition coils that I replaced with 1. So now i'm left with some wires from the old coils and the old rotor/trigger assembly that I don't know what to do with.

The 2 black wires are from the trigger assembly and the 2 grey & 2 orange wires are from the old ignition coils.
Can I just ground them to the frame or tie them off or what?

Attachments

• 20141128_140008.jpg
    20141128_140008.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 317
  • 20141128_140023.jpg
    20141128_140023.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 351
When you install the Pamco you remove the coils, points, condensers. and such. So the only wires you should have left is the red/white wire that fed power to the old coils.
To wire in the Pamco use the red/white wire that powered the old coils. On my 75 the red/white wire had a two position female plug. To wire the Pamco I made up two wires with male bullet connectors on them. Plugged these into the two female' in the red/white wire plug. I then ran one to the red wire of the Pamco, the other to one side of the coil primary side, use either one, it makes no difference. The green wire of the Pamco to the other side of the coil primary. Black to a good frame ground.
Leo

Okay I wasn't aware I could remove the condensers. So basically every wire except the red/white (I seem to only have a red) is not used with my new rotor and ignition coil.

You can leave the condensers, they are mounted on the inside of the engine mount. Leaving them there is easier than tearing the mount apart to remove.
Just tuck the wires back up inside the mount.
Most years used a red/white wire from the engine stop switch to the coils, If a PO rewired the bike they might have substituted a red wire.
Not much of a problem. As long as it only has power when the engine stop switch is in the run position.
Leo

Ok The orange and grey wires ran from the points to the coils. These wires should have come out when you pulled the points plate. Most pull the points plate out with the points on it and the wires attached.
Leo

The double end of the orange and grey wires accepted one points wire and one condenser lead. The single ends ran to the two old coils.

CondenserHook-up2.jpg

Back