F-N Harley Wanna be's

I had an idea for a sticker, similar to the "one less car" stickers people put on bicycles, but to make some that say "One Less Harley." I'd put one on my bike. There are very very few Harleys I would own. Most of the stock ones look completely stupid.

I was down by the beach a few weeks ago and there was a group of guys with Harleys parked there, and by guys I mean they were a bunch of d-bag frat boys, Paul JR OCC fan boys, and fat thug MMA wannabe's. They kept yelling to everyone who went by on a bike that wasn't a Harley about how they sucked and had a "lawnmower," were yelling at girls asses who walked by, and just being plain fucking annoying. Was completely embarrassing to watch. What were they riding? A big LED covered bagger, a completely stock fat bob, and a softail that would have been cool had they not repainted it with a silver and lime green tribal design. I saw some of this same group maybe a week ago weaving through traffic in going like 50 in a 35 revving their engines like goons. These are the people I generally think of when I think of Harley.

The other day I saw a guy riding on old flat head, covered in rust almost completely, budweiser can jockey shift, fishtail exhaust, uncovered rusty solo seat pan, etc, and it may have been the coolest bike I've ever seen. These are the people I wish I thought of when I think of motorcycles.

Ok, Im a new guy here so I hope I dont step on any toes...

I get the HD hate. But its not just HD guys. I had a douche on a done up Yamaha R1 tell me I was obviously a "noob" because I was wearing an HJC helmet once. He pointed out how much better his $475 what the hell ever helmet was. Pretty sure the DOT stickers on the back matched, but... Mine didnt cost more than my car payment so Im an asshole.

I have even come to realize as of late, that 75% of the guys I have met on chops (any make or model) all think theyre effin' Gods gift to bikes. All dudded up with every article of clothing they saw in the last issue of (insert hip chopper mag here). They all have the same 70s knock-off paint jobs (most of which they paid someone a crazy amount of money for) on theyre Sporty tanked, hardtailed whatevers. All standing around comparing their identical Biltwell 3/4s and new Vans sneakers.

Its all become a fashion show. Be it vintage Cafe Racers, Chops, Brats, etc. Doesnt matter what make or model the bike is, it didnt do anything wrong. Its the self centered wanna-be schmuck that built it(or paid to have it built most times).

When it comes down to it, its always been about attitude. Either you have the right one, or you have the wrong one.

One of the guys I ride with every so often has 5 HDs. A 37 Knuck, a 43 Flattie, a 52 Pan and two newer ones. All mint and stock. Ive ridden with he and his buddies on a modern SV650, a 68 Honda CL175 cafe racer, a stock XS650, and other bikes and not once did I get a hard time from any of them. Hell, when I was on the 68 Honda, it was the newest bike in the group (made up of vintage Indians, HDs, and an Excelsior) by 15 years. And when we stopped, all of those guys came over and checked th bike out over a cold beer.

All Im saying is that theres always assholes who think their gold card is the most important motorcycle part you can have. Be them on HDs, sport bikes, vintage customs, or even scooters.

All you can do is twist the throttle and burn em up. Eventually they'll all find the next "it thing" and thats cool with me.

Just think about all the awesome bikes, parts, and projects that will end up on Craigslist for pennies on the dollar! :thumbsup:

Sorry for the long post... Im bored.

Right on man.....a cohesive intelligent grasp of the scene.

One of my good buddies rides a 63 XLCH chopper. I hope to go down to the states and pick up a 60s sportie in the near future, but I'm still not gonna ride with a bunch of guys with black and orange jackets. That being said I wont ride with any of my brothers sportbike buddies either, same shitty attitude, different bikes.

Yep, it's all about attitude. When I get the itch to ride, I'm wearing whatever I have on for the day and I just go. Sometimes I have on boots, other times it's old sneakers. One thing's for sure, I always wear my "cheap ass noobie" HJC helmet!

I can think of thousands of ways to spend my money before buying a branded wardrobe!

Do you all here your attitudes I wont ride with this or that guy and they do this and they do that. I live live next to a Harley dealership so I see more of those goons than most of you and yeah they suck. But now your pointing the finger at everyone else. Guys on sportbikes are giving back the same attitude that they get from everybody. The Harley guys and most of the metric cruisers boys. It used to be only Harley guys gave sportbike riders the snub(they give everybody that ) but now the metric cruisers are doing the same thing and guess what they are doing the same crap all of you are complaining about buying all the crap to make them and their ride look like a hardocre long distance road bike. That they only break out to go to work, ride to a breakfast/dinner ride with their other fat buddies, or to the local cool bar.
Now if I'm rolling up the street to get my haircut or something I may leave in jeans or shorts and shoes but if I'm going riding I'm putting on protective gear. Helmet, over pants, boots, gloves because when the time comes that I make a mistake or someone else does I wanna come home to my wife. So anybody that wants to boast about riding all the time in a cheap helmet, shoes t-shirts, and flip flops or what the hell ever else. We will feel bad for you and I wont tell I told you so when you have to hang it up because you dont have a foot to shift with or your eating through a straw.
Cheap helemts will protect you and as long as you didnt buy it from Walmart your probably alright but yes a $495 dollar helmet does do a lot more than your 160 dollar helmet. Weight, design, cooling, and the products its made of. If you look at that HJC you should still find a seam running down the middle front to back that's where its gonna split if you do have a wreck and land on the helmet right.
Douchbags ride all kinds of motorcycles including XS650's. Hell I'm an ass ( i have a trophy to prove it) and I ride a XS650, cbr600, CR250,and a mountain bike.

My HJC helmet is actually a good quality one. I called it "cheap" based on an earlier post where someone caught grief for having an HJC helmet and being called a noobie. I paid a good price for mine, it's SNELL approved, and it's good quality. My riding jacket is a no name brand but I have adequate protection.

I could give a shit less if someone owns a Harley, CBR, or whatever. If they want to ride with me, I'm all for it. If you own a motorcycle, you are part of the club. Hell, my neighbor has a cheap Kymco 250cc scooter and we ride together all the time. My comments go along with the others about the guys who frown on everyone else who isn't brand loyal and wear head to toe Harley branded gear.

So far, and I'm a fairly new rider, I've been given the wave by about every biker on the road regardless of what they are on so I don't have any experience first hand of being snubbed. I'm sure my time will come.

This is where I think Harleys should go.

Attachments

• image001V.jpg
    image001V.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 193
All I can say is, I've enjoyed the hell out of my Harley. Bought my Road King in '04 and to date (knock on wood) it has never been into a dealership (even with the mods I've made to it) in the 40,000+ miles I've put on her....been ridden in the sun, lots of rain, some snow storms and sleet.....I've hydroplaned the bike at 65 in a freak downpour on the way to South Dakota, have nearly dumped it at 80 on a hot wide tarsnake in Kentucky...way more than one Wisconsin deer has jumped in front of me and way more than one women on her damn cell phone, she has always gotten me home in one piece....hell of a bike.

I built my XS this year, and finally have gotten the bugs worked out...long trip bike? Probably not. Attention getter? You bet....do I like to ride it? ..I love it!

Bottom line I think is, as long as you ride, you are OK in my book...unless you are a prick...LMAO
Tom

I personally have nothing against harleys, and I find it ironic that a post complaining about posing becomes a place for people to posture =)

Probably, landed personal vehicles with improper import approval that are deemed to be destroyed. I we import something a bike say from the US and the Government deems to not fit for use here it doesn't meet X&Y requirements or your paper work is wrong it gets destroyed. Can be an expensive lesson!

Used to know where a Honda factory training facility dumpster was, if you got REAL lucky you could snag stuff before it was crushed, oftentimes it was first run or pre-production bikes that the training classes had used. and Honda policy was crush em. I snagged some brand new complete 750 engines in boxes out of that dumpster. Funny how popular that back parking lot was at night.

Back