Fat tire bikes????

mpiersd

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Anyone running wider tires and wheels on their bikes. Curious as to what sizes are being used.
Not looking to run a 200 or something stoopid wide, but like the old school fat tire look.
Sorting out maybe running 15 inch or 16 inch wheels with a 130 or 150 front with a 150 rear.

150 rear = jack shaft Because of chain interference with the tire. A 130/90 16 is about the biggest you can go in the rear with out a jack shaft. There may be some manufacturers with 140's that would work nut no guarantees......
No offense, but this topic has been beat to death.

XSLeo posted this info for a 16" front:

"Lace a 16 inch rear rim to a stock front hub. Then it will fit in the stock forks.
There is about 135 mm between the forks. A 130 mm tire maybe tight. A 120 would be better."

Here's some more info:

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3029&highlight=widest+tire

thanks for the link Patches. I did a search, but I dont think I used the correct parameters.
I figure if I am going to build the bike, I might as well build it exactly as I want it.

[/IMG]

This is what I have in mind for tires and wheels on my bike.

Attachments

• tire-front001.jpg
    tire-front001.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1
With the springer front end the 130 wide tire is easy on the front. You can easily fit a wide glide front end on the XS650 frame. That will allow the wider front tire. Use the races from the XS650 tapered bearing sets, use the tapered 1 inch bearings of the Harley trees and bolt it onto the xs650 frame. May need a bit of modding on the neck or trees.
I have read about an offset front sporcket and a spacer for the left side cover to run a wider rear tire but don't have any links. Maybe one of the chopper sites can help there.
Leo

Back