Finally Got a Milling Machine

After a little research on the Practical Machinist forum I discovered my machine was born in 1966. I already have a few projects lined up and ready to work on. Recyclebill, we need to make some chips next time you're in town....

Sounds like a plan. I've still got that set of 2-1s and hub you need too. Looks like I'll have to drive the old Toyota.

:cheers::cheers::cheers: Finally got the mill running.....
After hooking up a home made rotary phase converter, The power in the shop cut out everytime the 220v switch was engaged. I finally discovered that I had a bad leg...underground. A few years ago one of the three wires that power my shop got cut. When I mended the wire I thought I did a sufficient job in the repairs. Unfortunately I did a crappy job but did not discover this until I had to use 220v in my shop for the first time this week. Now that the problem has been fixed I can run my mill and surface grinder with no problems. Now I need a good vacuum cleaner to pick up chips:confused:

Or you could build yourself an eddy current generator to push the chips into a container...

But alas, you'd probably need to own a power company to run it.

The mess has begun.....
The mill got a good cleaning and lube job and was wired in and is good to go!
Now I need to find a better vacuum to keep up with the mess. The only one not excited is my big helper.
IMGP2128.jpg

Here's the mill in it's full glory.
IMGP2189.jpg

This is what I came up with to power it up.
5HP, 3Ph motor started by a 1/2HP 110v motor.
IMGP2188.jpg

Simple, crude, reliable.

The mess has begun.....
The mill got a good cleaning and lube job and was wired in and is good to go!
Now I need to find a better vacuum to keep up with the mess. The only one not excited is my big helper.
IMGP2128.jpg

Here's the mill in it's full glory.
IMGP2189.jpg

This is what I came up with to power it up.
5HP, 3Ph motor started by a 1/2HP 110v motor.
IMGP2188.jpg

Simple, crude, reliable.

works for me i'm off to the mountains-- see you soon :bike:

Back