First Bike Build

Dyllanjr

XS650 Member
Reaction score
My father (bill usher) creator of http://Choppedbaggers.com told me today that he wanted to get me going on a bike project very soon, so I did my research on different style xs 650s and I have come to the conclusion of two things:
1. I don't know what I want to do
2. I don't know what I want to do

I have however seen on the forum a couple of bikes that I did like such as the ones below, I really like the big tires and close rear fender of the first picture, The "speed holes" on the wheels of the second, and pretty much everything else on the third. I also am leaning towards the front open spring shocks, but I haven't leaned completely towards them. does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should get or were I should start?

By the way I don't think I`ll be doing any major fabrication on build #1...:bike:

Attachments

• bike#1.jpg
    bike#1.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 223
  • bike#2.jpg
    bike#2.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Bike#3.jpg
    Bike#3.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
Hello everyone! i just got my xs650 today and started working on it a bit! here are some pics of my progress

Here she is!
IMG_2841.jpg
IMG_2842.jpg
IMG_2843.jpg
IMG_2844.jpg
IMG_2845.jpg

Looks like somebody let there pet dog do the wiring
IMG_2846.jpg

Cleaned off some of the crud...
IMG_2848.jpg

Stripped down some stuffs, Anybody want to buy anything?
IMG_2853.jpg
IMG_2850.jpg

If anyone has any tips/warnings id be glad to hear from them, im only 15 so please be patient with me, ill catch onto lingo and all that good stuff here soon! More posts are to be expected tomorrow!:bike::thumbsup:

Hello everyone! i just got my xs650 today and started working on it a bit! here are some pics of my progress

Here she is!
View attachment 37794
View attachment 37795
View attachment 37796
View attachment 37797
View attachment 37798

Looks like somebody let there pet dog do the wiring
View attachment 37799

Cleaned off some of the crud...
View attachment 37800

Stripped down some stuffs, Anybody want to buy anything?
View attachment 37801
View attachment 37802

If anyone has any tips/warnings id be glad to hear from them, im only 15 so please be patient with me, ill catch onto lingo and all that good stuff here soon! More posts are to be expected tomorrow!:bike::thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum, there are many members (spend some time on here and you'll learn quickly) who have a tremendous amount of knowledge. I'm pretty confident in saying they know more about these bikes than the Yamaha engineers that built them.

With that said, my only "tip" from my experiences thus far in my build is to use the search
Feature on this forum. Even on stuff that you think is a no-brainer, research it on here first. You'll find little red flags, what works and what doesn't work, which will save you lots of time and money:thumbsup::bike:

Trying to get a couple things ordered this morning. Planning on the Ardcore hard tail and a DNA springer.

Can someone confirm that the -2" springer will keep a reasonable frame height when used with a wide 16" front wheel?

Welcome to the world of XS these guy's on here are great most of them are quick to help and answer questions by the way thats a nice bike you scored there for being 30 plus years old it looked good.

Bike looks good. How does it run or does it run. Best to ride it before chopping and get the motor tuned up. Valve and cam chain adjusted compression check ect. Then when you get to the end of the build the pain in the ass part is done. Not a chopper builder myself these days. Not knowing what to do is like what not to do. The chopper project is a major undertaking a hell of a lot of work and time. I like the flatseat bobber look no need for the sawsall. Still a lot of work but no major frame modification. I would research your project and get the look and stance you want. Put it down on paper parts needed ect. Look at other builds for ideas. The three examples a good start. Ten examples or more and what you like or dislike. Then you have a bigger selection to incorporate into your build. Will be watching your progress. :thumbsup:

Lol, Scabber we think alike. Unfortunately this bike was not running with a trashed electrical system. No attempt will be made to start it until the electrical system has been reconfiguted/replaced/upgraded for a reliable minimalistic setup. I know there will be problems most likely the carbs for one, however I have not yet decided how far into this motpr we are gonna go. I'm hoping new electrics, resealed oil cavities, and clean carbs is all it will take but I know that's unlikely.

Coupke updates:

-DNA springer ordered ftkm TC Bros, should be here this week.

-Ardcore tail ordered, eta tbd.

-We have talked about running the stock wheels but I think we are leaning towards matching 16"x3.5" Mammoth Spokes. Black rim/Chrome Spokes. Still not 100% on this...

welcome dyllanjr damn that was a quick decision and start to your project.:eek::yikes::doh:

Wish to hell I'd seen your initial post last week . I'd have said .............STOP!

Do something different from everybody else .

Bobbers , chops , rat bikes etc have been done to death for years ...They are history! ...;last years news .......everybody and their GrandMother has built one . You don't see Brad , Becks, Kennu and others riding around on them any more do you ?

I'd have said take a really good look around before ordering gear and chopping your bike.

you could have gone with a Street tracker or a cafe racer or how about a cut down version of a stock bike with all the weight taken off and lightweight stuff put back . Big bore engine and all the latest high tech gadgets like PMA and full electronic ignition and advance. digital tacho and speedo etc coloured frame wow now that would be something different wouldn't it.

See what the top builders are doing right now you'll see whats new and cutting edge:D:thumbsup:

welcome dyllanjr damn that was a quick decision and start to your project.:eek::yikes::doh:

Wish to hell I'd seen your initial post last week . I'd have said .............STOP!

Do something different from everybody else .

Bobbers , chops , rat bikes etc have been done to death for years ...They are history! ...;last years news .......everybody and their GrandMother has built one . You don't see Brad , Becks, Kennu and others riding around on them any more do you ?

I'd have said take a really good look around before ordering gear and chopping your bike.

you could have gone with a Street tracker or a cafe racer or how about a cut down version of a stock bike with all the weight taken off and lightweight stuff put back . Big bore engine and all the latest high tech gadgets like PMA and full electronic ignition and advance. digital tacho and speedo etc coloured frame wow now that would be something different wouldn't it.

See what the top builders are doing right now you'll see whats new and cutting edge:D:thumbsup:

What's new and cutting edge is baggers which I build as well, were building a bobber because that's what we want to do. Has nothing to do with what is "in".

What's new and cutting edge is baggers which I build as well, were building a bobber because that's what we want to do. Has nothing to do with what is "in".

:confused: who's building this bike ? you or your your Son ???:banghead:

I was answering your Son's post at the beginning of this thread where he said ,quote
'1. I don't know what I want to do
2. I don't know what I want to do' end quote.

sounds to me like its you building your bike and your Son is relegated to
acquiescing to your needs:laugh:

:confused: who's building this bike ? you or your your Son ???:banghead:

I was answering your Son's post at the beginning of this thread where he said ,quote
'1. I don't know what I want to do
2. I don't know what I want to do' end quote.

sounds to me like its you building your bike and your Son is relegated to
acquiescing to your needs:laugh:

Nope, its his first build is all.

Back