first oil change.

jmink427

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I changed the oil for the first time today.. When I got the bike the oil looked fresh but I didn't have any idea what was in it..... So I ordered a sump filter, the secondary filter (I guess that is was it's called) and gaskets..... Low and behold as I stated in other post some people shouldn't have tools..... I found rtv silicon in the sump area were some one didn't want to buy or make a gasket for so they used rtv... :wtf: Gaskets are cheaper than the rtv...... That stuff was all squished out on the inside... Any one ever see what happens when that crap stops up a oil passage oil makes it to some bearings...... I haven't on a motorcycle but I have on a automotive engine...:eek: Here are some pick of what I found... Also how much oil are you guys running in your some say half way between the low and the full mark so it don't blow out as much through the vent...

WP_000248.jpg

WP_000253.jpg

The sump plate needs no sealer, just a new gasket and make sure it's flat. I made a shield for my new sump filter like recyclebills. Check page 2 in the shops section for sump filter shield. Everyone seems to be blown out in the same area so I figured it couldn' hurt. Look's like the PO over tightened the secondary filter as it looks bulged out, something to look out for when installing the new one. Some people just run 2 Qts of oil, some in between the marks. Haven't got a straight answer on that yet.

Man I hate those silicone sisters! good thing for the side filter. I got an 83 at the top mark on the the stick and it's stayed there for 500 miles.

The sillycone gots to go. The hole in the sump filter is normal. Comes from not letting the bike warm up.
The amount of stuff in the side filter isn't to bad, if low miles that can be stuff from when it was first assembled.
The book says half way between the marks on level ground and on the center stand. Dipstick just setting on the threads.
Leo

Yeah I ran into the EXACT same thing a few days ago, first oil change, torn sump filter and silicon, except mint was clear silicon. I ordered the gasket and a new filter, though using the aluminum from a pop can and some jb weld is cheaper..... hind sight is 20/20 in my case.
Got my new gasket and filter pretty quick, was a breeze to get it all done. Bike ran a lot better, though i was using slightly thinner oil.

since silicon is soft i can't see it causing a lot of damage or anything.

The sillycone may be soft but it won't take much to plug the oil restrictor built into the oil line to the head. No oil to the head can lead to things we all don't like.
Leo

The sump filter is before the oil pump and keeps bits from going through the oil pump. The filter in the side cover is after the oil pump and keeps stuff out of the rest of the engine. In your pic the arrow points to a blob of sillycone. It is between the sump filter and the oil pump. If it breaks loose it will go through the oil pump and maybe get caught by the side cover filter.
Oil flows from the sump, through the sump filter into the passage to the oil pump. From the pump to the side cover filter, through the filter and back into the engine.
There it goes through passages to the crank main bearings, back to the transmission and into a passage across the front of the engine.
This passage has ports that spray oil onto the connecting rods big end. It also feeds the head through an adapter that screws into the case and the oil line screws to the adapter. In this adapter is the restrictor.
I don't recall just how big the hole is, but very small. It controls how much oil goes up to the head. It this hole was larger too much oil would go to the head and starve the lower end of oil. If it plug then the head gets no oil.
If you are carefull you can remove the oil line and the adapter to make sure it's not plugged. I might even kick the engine over a few times to flush the passage out. Not start it just use the kick start to turn the engine.
Here's a couple pics to show the oil flow.
Leo

Attachments

• LostFile_JPG_86908152.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_86908152.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 89
  • LostFile_JPG_86908280.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_86908280.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 88
Back