First (real) ride!

Ashaman

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally got plates on the beast today, thanks to my loving and ever-patient girl, who went to the DMV twice today while I signed a POA, notarized, scanned and emailed over my lunch break. She was able to get tags and so with that and not having ridden since my MSF class last weekend, I hopped on the XS after work tonight and took it out. I live almost four miles up a washboard dirt road, so navigating that was the first challenge. Turns out Shinko 712's aren't great dirt tires. Made it to town and went up to the school to screw around in the only paved parking lot within ten miles of my house. Practiced some turns and stops, then took it out onto the country highway that runs through town and got up to about 65mph for a while. It was getting windy, spitting raindrops and the sun was starting to go down, so I called it quits and headed back. The dirt road on the way back was better for some reason; maybe that little bit of practice made it feel easier already, I dunno. Either way, I'm pretty stoked at how it all went. Bike ran great, with the exception of a tiny bit of roughness at very low speeds and RPM's. Felt like it was lugging but I didn't have any lower gears as I was in 1st at maybe 5-7mph. Dunno what that was about. All else was excellent. Can't wait to get some more practice under my belt and really start getting familiar with this machine. :D

Its cool your girl would put up with all the fun that happens at the DMV so you could get your plates. I have yet to find one who will even put up with half of my motorcycle thoughts. Got to be careful riding on dirt, gravel, sand, basically anything thats not pavement, but you will be able to pick it up quickly. Just keep smooth throttle control and keep your balance so you don't lean the bike to much.

congrats. the road felt better on your way back because your already getting better. i remember my first time legal and legit on the the road after the first build on my xs. you couldnt have beaten the smile of my face with a baseball bat.

Yep, she's pretty amazing. Granted, our DMV is small and not full of crazies like the ones in town, but we live 20 minutes away and she did it twice. I <3 her lol.

Of course the weather went to shit today and is supposed to suck tomorrow too. Fifties and rain is not my idea of riding weather. Sixties on Sunday, so hopefully I can venture out again then. :D

I went to the the DMV yesterday to get my plate. Being Friday after work it was busy. I ended up in line behind an old Chinese woman that kept "off gassing" extremely loud. And then after each fart would shake. It was a long, long 20 minutes in line :-(.

But after 12 years of the bike sitting its plated and will be out riding soon. Not done, but close enough.

That first ride on a new bike is a learning expereince even for a long time rider. And yes the more you ride the better your road will fell. Soon the dirt won't slow you down much.
Have fun, ride smart, ride long.
Leo

The first ride If all goes well is a smile maker for sure.
Good to see that your went well.
On the low speed the XS is not the best at puttin at that low speed.
I read a review on the new 1979XS650 and the low speed chugging was mentioned in that article. in those times either the throttle and or the clutch is your friend.
I hope you have as much fun on your bike as we do. Ed

I'm usually in 2nd or 3rd going down my washboard dirt road, dodging the rocks.

Soon as I hit street I launch.

One of these days I want to go to DMV with just a neck and title and see what they say. LOL

Weather warmed up and the sun came out in the afternoon yesterday, so after swapping poultry in the morning and making a run to the dump midday, I hopped on and went for a ride. 37 miles round trip, all the way to the closest larger town. Dealt with minor traffic and got gas, then hammered down on a straight on the way home and got her up to 85mph. Felt solid and stable and the motor just wanted to pull. I actually ran out of road before I ran out of power. And, like you guys are saying, the dirt road feels better and better each time. Hopefully I don't forget I'm on dirt at some point and do a street swerve or lean or something, but at least I'm not whiteknuckling and feeling like the bike is going to slide out from under me at any second. I need a jacket, though; a hoodie lets an awful lot of air through and just doesn't feel that safe, but I plan on remedying that this week.

Super stoked. :D

IMO a good riding jacket goes a whole lot further for comfort, warmth, and protection than a regular leather or canvas jacket thats not designed for motorcycle use. Motorcycle jackets are usually a little more money, but worth the investment!

I don't have a proper jacket yet myself but that and the right pair of gloves are next on the list. Right now I like the Alpinestar Drystar jackets. But I have picked up an icon armor vest and love the protection it gives me and am looking at more icon armor that also has the the elbow pads. If you ride in hot weather they are worth checking out. Don't be like all those other "cool" guys I see in white T-shirts and stupid little helmets.

Yup leather is the key especially where the next 15 minutes of weather may be VERy different. On dirt and gravel less is more. As you learn to be comfortable a lighter touch and letting the bike "find it's own way' a bit will actually have you in better control, keep your weight back "lighten your seat, and weight your feet" a bike hates a death grip on rough surfaces. I am not a dirt rider but that's how I ride street bike on the dirt/gravel.

The jacket I've had my eye on for a while is the Tourmaster Coaster II, but an Icon Accelerant popped up on craigslist the other day for about the same price so I might hit him up. For some reason I don't trust textile jackets, so leather it will be. I've got Alpinestars gloves with the carbon fiber knuckles and a full face Scorpion lid; I'm no squid. I'm rather attached to my skin and would like to stay that way. ;)

As far as dirt, you're probably right, Gary. I'm sure I'm loosening up a lot more now which lets the bike do it's thing without me fucking it up. Practice makes perfect, as they say.

Back