First time rehab of a 1976ish basket case

Should I cut down front fender or leave it?

• Total voters
Dude........cropped from
View attachment 137876
memories,.......memories........

IMG_6067.jpg

I got a question, but it’s the less annoying kind! I actually would love some feedback/opinions on whether or not to hack this big front fender down. I kinda like the way it looks now, but feel it would “even out” the front to back proportions. Oh and I’m “done” with wiring for now. Got a voltage meter that’s been sitting until I can figure out a housing/mounting option and waiting new terminals for inside of headlight (old ones fried) but until my new gasket/seal set comes in I’m takin a break and fiddling with looks. This thing is really starting to head in the “brat bike” direction, which I rather enjoy and it is, after all, Japanese. Anyway what do y’all think? And should I post a new thread just as a poll?View attachment 137862View attachment 137863View attachment 137864

Hi LiveSlow,
leave the front fender alone, add a yellow rear fender to match it and fizz the red shocks black.

No, no. I was referring to your statement.......... "that's about the least destructive thing the Po did to the bike" ......making a joke about it is all
Ahhh gotcha! Yeah I was half joking myself, neglecting to address cam chain and valve lash was probably worse for the bike then that can of red spray paint :cussing: hahaa

That alt cover is pretty sweet. They never made one with the tunin’ forks cast into it did they? Also, that is some SNAZZY footwear. I’d be afraid it would overshadow my shocks!
That alt cover was my design; it was badly scarred up, so I fiberglassed it smooth and added the decal.

I sold the bike to a fella in the Hudson River Valley some years ago, who then sold it to a NYC fella with the red shoes. He gave us some grief here at the website, you might say. He is no longer with us.

That alt cover was my design; it was badly scarred up, so I fiberglassed it smooth and added the decal.

I sold the bike to a fella in the Hudson River Valley some years ago, who then sold it to a NYC fella with the red shoes. He gave us some grief here at the website, you might say. He is no longer with us.
Well it looks (looked) pretty sweet. As per the gentleman in nyc, the shoes make much more sense now... read through that thread the other day and all I can say is that I hope the bike is in better hands now, or will be some day

+2 on those rear shocks. Painting them black or yellow would blend them into your theme a little better IMHO.
As for the front fender, I was planning on taking the fender on "The Basketcase", flipping it around, and cutting the 'long' side, to give it a more "bobbed" profile. You should be able to photo shop a picture of yours to give you an idea of what a cut down fender would look like. I think cutting it down would give it a more proportional (to your "Brat style") look. :twocents:

+2 on those rear shocks. Painting them black or yellow would blend them into your theme a little better IMHO.
As for the front fender, I was planning on taking the fender on "The Basketcase", flipping it around, and cutting the 'long' side, to give it a more "bobbed" profile. You should be able to photo shop a picture of yours to give you an idea of what a cut down fender would look like. I think cutting it down would give it a more proportional (to your "Brat style") look. :twocents:
Thanks for the input, and for your bike do you mean like a rearswept kinda thing? that would be a sweet look. If i do end up hacking, I’ll orobably go with 3ish inches out on either side. As for the shocks, I’ve been doing some reading and looking for a set of 12” since I’m a short guy and since the emgo’s are already known for being really stiff, I’m thinking maybe some used Harley shocks would be a more cost effective option. Oh and I’m still not set on the yellow, so black will probably be what I end up doing

Last edited:
Been real slow here in the garage, between working doubles and waiting on parts. Threw on some fresh grips and finalized rear end wiring the other day. Still on the fence about adding a rear fender, but since the one the bike came with is toast I’ll be waiting until I stumble into something free. Engine seal set, used 11” sportster shocks on the way from eBay for stupid cheap, and center stand all on the way. Stay tuned for more mediocrity
B25C9C58-1DDA-4A10-AF39-D2C914317658.jpeg
D9C38E11-930D-4E54-87E1-A1C669A2461B.jpeg

All good news, 11" by choice ?
Yes. I thought about repainting the shocks that are on now, but I wanted to lower it anyway. I think they look good with a bit of drop, and I’m about 5’8” so even with the low seat I can barely hover my feet. With the drop I’ll be able to beef up the seat. Lowering blocks might go in forks eventually but for now it’ll just be heavier/higher oil and ~1.5” up in trees

You can't raise the tubes in the trees that much. When the forks compress fully, the lowers will slam into the bottom tree. About 1/2" is all you can go.
Damn, was hoping to have alittle more wiggle room. Right now I’ve got just about enough for tires to stay under budget. When I flush forks to replace oil I’ll slide them back in with no springs and see what kinda clearance I have, as I think you suggested to someone on here. I think it was you, anyway

If you cut the front fender you remove the factory bend that gives it a curve and strength. It also makes the fender higher and not sit low on the tire. I like factory fenders not molested for that reasoning.

If you cut the front fender you remove the factory bend that gives it a curve and strength. It also makes the fender higher and not sit low on the tire. I like factory fenders not molested for that reasoning.
Thanks for your input cafetools. I wouldn’t assume that removing 6 inches from either side would affect stability in a noticeable way, since I’m assuming that most of the bracing comes from the incorporated brace where the fender mounts, but I’m not an engineer and don’t want to put the “ass” in assuming.. still on the fence about shortening it anyway. I don’t hate the way it looks, just think it’s out of proportion. Poll is currently tied so jury’s still out, literally

Back