First Time Using a Digital Dwell Meter - What Am I Doing Wrong?

BlueR32

XS650 Member
Reaction score
As suggested in a different post, I got hold of a digital dwell meter to set the points gap on my 1977 XS650D.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079P6D4PC?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
I set the Meter to 4-Cyl Dwell and connected it up - black lead to ground and red lead to the points wire. Fired up the bike and the digital readout jumped around a lot from about 17 to 35 but I noticed a somewhat regular reading of 24 or thereabouts. Is it normal for the readings to jump around like this or am I doing something wrong?

On an old used set of points, yes, the reading can jump all around. Sometimes it's difficult to even use the meter on them. New points usually give a nice steady reading, well, good quality new ones, lol. I can't say about the Chinese knock-offs that are flooding the market now, I never tried any.

The spec, after doing the math, is 22° to 24.5° on the 4 cyl. scale (actual 2 cyl. value of 88° to 98° ÷ 4). Since the dwell meter reading is inversely related to the gap size (smaller number indicates bigger gap), your 24° reading is towards the small end of the gap range. I shoot for as large of an "in spec" gap as I can get (as close to 22° as possible) because the gap usually wears closed over time and this way, it will remain in spec longer.

Last edited:
Have you hooked up a timing light and are you getting a steady position on the timing mark using the light?
Does the timing cam lobe have pitting on it? Any side to side play on the cam lobe?
I know my original points, the readings were a tad more sporatic than when I got new points.
I can imagine older points that have not been cleaned up and don't have straight smooth surface might be sporatic.

I should have mentioned that the points are new (Daiichi DH-40). I also did hook up a timing light and I am getting a steady position on the marks.

Attachments

• Daiichi DH-40 Points.png
    Daiichi DH-40 Points.png
    165 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back