Fouled Plugs! Calling All Gurus! What Carbs do i Have?

Ok. Put the battery(the toy) back in and started her up and checked the voltage. If I did it right it seems to be charging correctly. Should I still spend the money on a new battery or should I save that money and put it toward pma and pamco? I am tired of spending money on thes thing and never getting to ride. :) learning is fun and all but… you know what I mean.

Browntown, that battery of yours is a sealed lead-acid 12v deer-feeder battery, easy to get out in deer hunt territory.

I run a pair of the tiny 6v 4.5 amp-hour deer-feeder batteries in my XS1B. It's OK since I don't have an electric starter, and I use 2 voltage monitors, and have a backround in electronics, so I can cheat and know what to get away with.

Non-standard setups like that are not suggested for inexperienced owners, best to use the standard battery as suggested earlier. But if you absolutely have to use it, be sure the slip-on lugs are snug and do NOT engage the starter...

Well, here's my country-inspired battery setup. These batteries use 1/4" bayonet style slip-on lugs. Vibrations can cause loose bayonets (the socket part) to produce spurious voltages, they need to be tight. You can gently squeeze down the (female socket part) bayonet to get a real snug fit, just don't get so tight that the lugs break off while pushing them on.

Attachments

• 2x6vBattery1.jpg
    2x6vBattery1.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 131
  • 2x6vBattery3.jpg
    2x6vBattery3.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 141
So I had the tank off and tried testing stuff out. I think I did it right, but didn't find anything wrong. I was sorta hoping to find something. Put it all back together and fired it up and rode it around the neighborhood a few times. Nothing abnormal there. It ran great for the first 10 miles just like always. I got sick and was busy for a few days and didn't get back to it till today. Decided to ride some more and see how much further I could go before it fouled out again. Ran like a champ. Decided to pull the plugs and take a look. Still not fouled. Actually producing that nice tan color. Maybe I disconnected a poor connection and reconnected better during my testing??? You would think this would make me feel good. Now I just feel even more confused. I guess I just need to get a support vehicle and go for a nice long ride.

... Ran like a champ... Maybe I disconnected a poor connection and reconnected better during my testing??? ...

Very likely. You may go nuts trying to find it.

Posted 10 days ago:

... it might behoove me to start from the ground up on the electrical system. but first i want to know that i have a good running engine...

You laid out a good plan, you've confirmed the engine, ready for step 2?

Back