First timer cafe build...another just getting started

Scallywag303

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So picked up a 83 heritage special a couple of weeks ago, going for a cafe style build. Bike hadn't run in a while guy I bought it from had no idea, so I ran through all the baby steps (this site and everyone is awesome and a ton of help).

So after I got all of that done and replaced all the missing electrical and tuned a bit, she runs!

So need advice on a couple things, I changed the fork oil(20w) and front end is still very soft. I'm guessing needs new fork springs?

When I got it running(all by kick, start button broke, jumped by relay engages then just spins) it took a while for it to warm up. Normal? Are these really cold blooded?

Also recommendations for rear shocks in 320-330mm.

First 2 pics are how I got it second 2 are after I pieced it together and got it running.

Attachments

• 20140228_213447.jpg
    20140228_213447.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 171
  • 20140228_214149.jpg
    20140228_214149.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 148
  • 20140319_185417.jpg
    20140319_185417.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 20140319_004020.jpg
    20140319_004020.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
So picked up a 83 heritage special a couple of weeks ago, going for a cafe style build. Bike hadn't run in a while guy I bought it from had no idea, so I ran through all the baby steps (this site and everyone is awesome and a ton of help).

So after I got all of that done and replaced all the missing electrical and tuned a bit, she runs!

So need advice on a couple things, I changed the fork oil(20w) and front end is still very soft. I'm guessing needs new fork springs?

When I got it running(all by kick, start button broke, jumped by relay engages then just spins) it took a while for it to warm up. Normal? Are these really cold blooded?

Finally looking for a seat like the one pictured if anyone has any suggestions, or another cafe style seat that doesn't require me cutting the rear loop. I don't really want to hack the bike up...

Really like what you have done to it, looks great. I have an '83 but have not yet changed the bars (unfortunately) or seat, been focused on another project. What I have done to the '83 based on information gathered on the forum is installed, a Tkat fork brace, put in some PVC pipe spacers on top of the fork springs and some 15WT fork oil. On the back end, did the bronze bushings etc and replaced shocks. Completely different bike with regard to handling, entirely worth it. There are many threads which will guide you on the details, look for fork sag and it will describe how to properly set things up.

I really need to get to those handlebars and seat.....
Yamimoto

Really like what you have done to it, looks great. I have an '83 but have not yet changed the bars (unfortunately) or seat, been focused on another project. What I have done to the '83 based on information gathered on the forum is installed, a Tkat fork brace, put in some PVC pipe spacers on top of the fork springs and some 15WT fork oil. On the back end, did the bronze bushings etc and replaced shocks. Completely different bike with regard to handling, entirely worth it. There are many threads which will guide you on the details, look for fork sag and it will describe how to properly set things up.

I really need to get to those handlebars and seat.....
Yamimoto

I just reread your post and obviously did not read it correctly the first time. (I thought the last picture was your bike) :banghead:

So for the starter not engaging there is lots of information on this topic and I'm no expert but from what I've read there is often an issue with the spring which engages it. The button can easily be replaced with either new or used parts.

On the rear, if you have not done so already look at the swingarm bushings and if they are plastic replace them with either bronze or needle bearing types and a grease zirk installed, also, the swingarm bolt should be inspected. With regard to rear shocks, I installed Progressive 412 series which are 13.5 inches eye to eye, . The difference is fantastic.

Ya I wish that last one was mine, itll get there... ya I wasn't too woried about starter, it starts with kick pretty easy. But good to know its nothing crazy.

I see alot of people run progressives are the reservoir shocks any good?

Finally looking for a seat like the one pictured if anyone has any suggestions, or another cafe style seat that doesn't require me cutting the rear loop. I don't really want to hack the bike up...

Hi Scallywag,
photos #2, #3 & #4 are of your bike and the others are for comparison?
Check the fork preload settings.
Pull the rubber caps off the fork tubes and you'll see a giant screwdriver slot.
If it's level with the top the adjuster is at the softest setting.
Push'n'turn down once for medium and again for max preload.
Long time to warm up? How well did you clean the carbs' enrichening circuits?
Those tiny little passages get plugged real easy.
I got a pair of NOS Street Strokers shocks but they are 14" (255mm)
PM me about them if you want.
You could DIY a bumstop seat that fitted over that frame loop?
I've seen some with the tail end made from a cut up scrap gas tank that looked OK.

The first 4 pics are mine the final pic was a bike I liked the seat off of and am trying to find.. Mine is not a finished product I just started diving into it.

On the forks after I changed the oil I did preload them all the way and it is still pretty soft and doesnt return fully.

Made some progress on the build after waiting for a couple parts...

New shocks brought the back up a bit, improved stance a little. The lower shock mount bolt rides really close to the exhaust, but switching out exhaust for 2 into 1 sometime this week so hopefully I can get some more room out of that. And converting to rear disc with a set of cleaned up mags so maybe that'll make a difference, and using the spoked for a bobber build.

Working on trimming and mounting seat pan before I drop it off to get a pad stitched for it. I used the factory front mount that slides in works great. I do however need to figure out something to keep the back in place that keeps it easy to take off. So any ideas would be great. Currently thinking something in the style of a trailer hitch pin but small scale? Where I can just remove the pin? When I figure it out I'll post it.

Also the side covers look odd due to varying angles so need to figure that out.

Attachments

• 20140405_000246.jpg
    20140405_000246.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 20140405_000227.jpg
    20140405_000227.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 137
Back