FIRST TIMER - top end re build.

Well I did some work still have lots to do but ...it's alive! Have a video on the beast idling with out mufflers. And I put them on and drove around and smoke was coming out the left side. Hmmm My valves with in .001 of spec and compression is 130 on left and 135 on right . Oh ya put a new exhaust gasket on the left side it is from an Athena rebuild kit. It doesn't fit good at all , kinda loose and off sets the pipe retainer about an 8th". Here's the link to the vid - first YouTube post ever

The exhaust gaskets will have a loose fit when first installed. As you tighten the nuts the finned part presses on the gasket and it expands outward to seal on the walls of the exhaust port, inward to seal on the pipe.
There should be a small gap between the finned part and the head. If after a few times of removing and reinstalling the pipes it gets so the finned part touches the head you need new gaskets.
You compression readings are good. The 5 lb difference is 3.7% well with in the 10% allowed, As you ride it, it may come up. Often a bike that sets very long can get a low compression reading at first then come up after a few hundred miles.
Leo

this is the gasket . made of metal . it is torqued down real good. dont want to snap any thing. . . still there is smoke coming out of the header conection/:wtf:

cheers

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 150
Did you clean out the area where this gasket seals? If carbon is built up on the port or pipe it won't seal well.
Leo

IS it possible for the front cam chain guide to come off inside? the bolts that hold it on came loose while i was riding . i noticed burning oil at a red light . they were out but could not back out any further because of the head oil delivery tube being right in front . any way . i tightened them up rode a few more days. just checked the oil filter. and found metal and plastic debris . SHould i pull the motor and see what the damage is. or F#@K IT AND RIDE. (maybe a rhetorical question thought i would throw it out there,)

for viewing pleasure :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Photo on 2014-04-29 at 18.03 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2014-04-29 at 18.03 #2.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 137
  • Photo on 2014-04-29 at 18.04.jpg
    Photo on 2014-04-29 at 18.04.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 140
  • Photo on 2014-04-29 at 18.03.jpg
    Photo on 2014-04-29 at 18.03.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 120
I don't know if the guide could fall right off, but now it probably isn't mounted straight up and down any more. There's always chips in the filters. These are old crude engines. It's your call I guess. I'm to the point of building a spare motor for swapping purposes, lol. Then I can beat the current item to no end.

Back