First tx650 and I'm stumped. Why won't it start?

BSomerfield

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bought a '73 tx650 which was running on the day I bought it. After transporting it from GA to TN it no longer starts. The lever starter doesn't work, the kickstart doesn't work. We tried long enough to completely drain the original battery and I replaced it with a new one.

Here's what I've done so far: replaced generator (broke it taking it off), rewired stator connection (cut it taking it off), reset points, tested whatever that thing is that's connected to the wire that tells the spark plugs to fire, tested both spark plugs (both got a spark but only once on the right one), opened right cover to check starter gear pin and tightened it, accidentally tightened the nut for the slip gear assembly that's rotated by the kickstart so the kickstart wasn't able to move, fixed that issue by loosening that bolt so the kickstart would move again.

I have a hughes handbuilt PMA kit but other than plugging everything in the kit together I can't find any information on how it wires onto the bike. Do I need to remove the points system entirely? What else do I need to remove from the original bike? Do I need a different starter (like a push button instead of a lever)? If so, what starter can I use? Do I need to replace the things that send the signal to the spark plugs? I know the kit isn't made to go onto the bike so parts of it have to be mounted wherever it'll fit.

I know I've messed up the bike way more than I've fixed anything so I'm scared to touch it again without clear direction. Help is desperately needed and greatly appreciated.

At this point some pictures would REALLY help us ID your issues.
An overall pic or two of the bike and a pic of all the parts you've, um, modified. and a pic of the PMA, there are several types. would be a good start.
Some callouts
Electric Starter: lever vs push button is just a different switch the starter's the same.
Kick start: it goes through the clutch, is your clutch slipping (mis-adjusted)
Points are simple and reliable But maybe this bike had a pamco installed. (I'm thinking this)
tested whatever that thing is that's connected to the wire that tells the spark plugs to fire
Do I need to replace the things that send the signal to the spark plugs?
replaced generator (broke it taking it off) def need a pic here.
You're near Knoxville?

Last edited:
Points ignition
points.jpg
Pamco ignition
Left Side Cam pamco.jpg

Unless your guy specifically knows, and has worked on XS650's hold off using him till we get you back on track.

Is Hugh's a CDI pma?? If it is then the CDI is an ignition replacing the points. Do not need to remove them completely,, just the wiring. Really do need lots of pics of the components, (Hugh's), coils, wiring,(cut connector) and bike in general.

Do not buy any parts before asking on here. The local knowledge of where to get stuff, value for money or best suppliers, is second to none.

Finally got back to the bike so I'll try to reply to everyone here. Thanks to everyone that's helping out!

@gggGary, I'll attach some pictures but I replaced the right point which was sparking when pulled away and ignition was on (which is the test in my manual) I also replaced the spark plugs which were carbon fouled. I got the bike to start once but I think the battery drained too fast from other attempts so I'm charging it right now. I attempted kickstarting and got one hell of a kick back before realizing the choke wasn't engaged. I do have a points ignition but that may change based on what I'm able to glean from you guys.

@650Skull, I know the guy can work on it, he seemed very knowledgeable over the phone but I'd like to get it done myself so yeah I'll stick with you guys first. The kit looks like one of the pics below, I don't think it's a CDI because it doesn't have anything that would go into the points container on the bike but maybe I'm just not understanding what it is. I found that MikesXS is a good resource for parts, already had to order from them and the stuff I got was actually really great.

Now for the update on the bike. I was able to get it started once after replacing one of the points and the spark plugs but the battery is too low for me to try again at the moment. I think the idle will be my next issue as it killed itself, I didn't 'stop the bike. After that I intend on flushing it with some premium gas and cleaner and just letting it run for a bit to warm up and clear out any gunk that's accumulated.

The new PMA system and all components for it.
1711723015249.png

The bike in my "garage"
1711723082474.png

The bike naked if that's helpful
1711723115418.png

Great pics, neat bike! Looks (nearly) all 73. Points iggys are fine when everything is checked to be operating correctly and set to specs.
Find a how to and do a full ignition tune up. (checking condensers a biggy) static time it, both sides! make sure the advance shaft rotates smoothly and returns as it should.

Last edited:
The fact that you have got it running is big.
Seems you haven't done any significant damage to the bike.
I recommend that you make only one change at a time from now on and see how it affects the running.

A factory manual download is available at this site.
Good luck!

If the PO installed the forks back to front, he's probably seen other XS650s with the caliper behind the leg, so thought they were all the same. The caliper wasn't positioned behind the leg until the 76 model.
A PMA is a good start, all you need now is to bin those BS38 carbs and install a couple of VM34s.

If the PO installed the forks back to front, he's probably seen other XS650s with the caliper behind the leg, so thought they were all the same. The caliper wasn't positioned behind the leg until the 76 model.
A PMA is a good start, all you need now is to bin those BS38 carbs and install a couple of VM34s.
I think that the owner would want to know from you why he should remove his original carbs (I wouldn't) and install aftermarket units.

I think that the owner would want to know from you why he should remove his original carbs (I wouldn't) and install aftermarket units.

My current issue is with the carbs, the right fires when starting up but just cakes the spark plug in carbon so it's running incredibly rich. I removed them and poured out all the gas, mixed up some clean gas into the tank and am trying to figure out how to set the ratio on the right side to see if the left will follow after it's been started.

I'd rather try to get the original working before adding new parts to it. I'm already spending more than I thought on it.

My current issue is with the carbs
Download and read the carb guides from tech. They helped me with a nagging carb issue I had.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/carbs-carburetors.43/
Also as long as you have them apart it’s worth it to do a little checking while cleaning. If the PO made those changes on the forks no telling what he may have done to the carbs. Running rich could be jets or a bad float or setting.IMG_2888.png Easy enough to check with the resources here.

Last edited:
Back