First xs650!

DaltonDixon

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of throttle assembly do I need for my 72?
I'm assuming the lever that's not the throttle is some kind of decompression but I'm not sure. Do I need a push and pull or a double pull or what?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 303
Hi Dalton and welcome,
hopefully you can get the controls sorted and the engine running.
But Oh my, the PO has seriously disastered the front end.
Overlength orphan fork legs with the lowers flipped around in an attempt to get the steering trail back to what it should be and no front brake?
Can you say "deathtrap"?

Yea it's going to be a nightmare haha
I had her running on a spare battery we have in the garage the other day and it sounds great.
The decomp thing is still a bit over my head but I'm hoping a little more reading will sort me out without too much trial and error.
I'm just happy to be rid of the xs850 I had for about 2 years. That thing was nothing but a headache.
Thanks for all the help guys and I'm sure I'll be needing more!

Ok, the decompression lever actuated the decompressor on the left side exhaust valve. It did this by turning a shaft that opens the exhaust valve a bit. At this same time it closed the start switch, which cranked the electric starter.
This was on the stock set up for the first two years of the e-start. They upgraded the starter and used a stronger battery in 74. So the decompressor was no longer used. They removed the whole mechanism and replaced it with a cover. On the throttle housing the removed the lever and reconfiguered the starter switch into a pushbutton.
On your throttle housing, if you are using the stock BS38 carbs then you need a dual pull throttle. From 70-75 they used two separate carbs, each with their own cable.
In 76 they went with linked carbs that only used one cable.
It's hard to tell in your pic just what carbs you have besides being BS38's.
Leo

I've decided to ditch that front end and save myself the headache!
What are my options on forks that will fit?
Small town sc isn't exactly over flowing xs650's unfortunately

How does changing your front forks eliminate your switch gear questions?

Oh. I failed to mention the po put on a random enduro front end and flipped the lowers in attempt to save the steering trail. The axel is too thin and I don't have the spacers either so that front wheel is just wobbling all over and is more than I want to deal with

Hi Dalton,
NC close enough? See Pickledbabies for sale ad, complete untitled 1980 XS650 down to $250. The complete front end will just drop onto your bike and the rest of it is pure gravy.

The easy way is to just not use the E-start. Leave the wiring alone.
Next step is to remove the starter, plug the hole, remove the gears behind the starter gear plate behind the drive sprocket. Still leave the wiring alone.
To simplify your wiring look in the "Some Wiring Diagrams" thread. Find it in the XS650 tech section under the "Electrical" heading.
Scroll down to find a diagram that uses the same parts you have, wire accordingly. I like diagram #4. It shows a basic points set up. The later TCI and combo reg/rec are in boxes. Just swap to match. The E-start is in the upper right.
The way the stock alternator works you need a good battery. It can be smaller than the stock battery but I can't recommend less than a 4 amp/hour battery.
Leo

finally made some progress!
on the lookout for stock forks and planing some wiring.
plan on kick only so it shouldnt be too much of bear (which is usually what i say before things go south)

Attachments

• IMG_7221.JPG
    IMG_7221.JPG
    203.5 KB · Views: 174
Back