First XS650

KHenman

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just got my first XS650. It is a 1979 Special.

I got my first bike a couple of years ago. It is a 2006 R6. Recently I decided that I wanted to try and get a "project bike", I want to learn more about motorcycles and have something to have fun and work on.

Originally I wanted a Yamaha Virago, but after further research decided that I wanted/needed a more popular bike with more support. This lead me to the XS650 and this forum.

After about a month of reading through things on this forum and constantly checking craigslist I found my bike. It was a running '79 that looked like it just needed a little TLC. It also came with another frame, engine, and a ton of other parts. Basically got 1.5 bikes.

So far I have only drained the gas tank, polished A LOT, and removed the exhaust.

I do not have a lot of motorcycle knowledge besides basic maintenance so this forum has been very helpful. I am sure I will have a lot of questions and find a lot of answers on here.

I attached pictures of the bike. One side is still unpolished so you can see the before and after.

Looking forward to my project.

Attachments

• Attach0 2.jpg
    Attach0 2.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 284
  • Attach0.jpg
    Attach0.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 281
  • Attach.jpg
    Attach.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 286
Oh and my plan/goal is to turn this bike into a Bobber/Rigid.

But have been hearing mixed things about Bobber. Would like a semi-comfortable bike. So I am looking at maybe trying to do a mono shock? Or maybe Bratstyle ?

Opinions/Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

They clean up well, don't they?
I'd say get her running good at the least, put some stock miles on her and then decide where to go. That will give you a good base for judgement. These bikes can be addicting in their simplicity and support - and you may find the other half to finish a second one that you can mod.
Welcome aboard!
There are some who've regretted breaking out the sawzall too soon.....

Depending on the rules in your jurisdiction, it may be easier to get it licensed and on the road in your name in stock form. Then you can ride it a bit as it is to see how the motor works, what the machine is like and so on before starting the project.

They clean up well, don't they?
I'd say get her running good at the least, put some stock miles on her and then decide where to go. That will give you a good base for judgement. These bikes can be addicting in their simplicity and support - and you may find the other half to finish a second one that you can mod.
Welcome aboard!
There are some who've regretted breaking out the sawzall too soon.....

+1.

Congrats and Welcome, surface rust, and looks good on the elbow

From what i can see the wiring will be good, PO, or PO PO, actually looked after this bike. Pull apart and clean every connection, bullet/coupling and earth, clean and reassemble. This will also give you a bit of time to learn the electrics.

Get this going, give yourself time to understand these bikes and use the other frame to build on. Assuming of course the spare frame is titled.

The 78/79 Specials are the best Specials to have. If not keen on the original look, lower the bars, hinged Standard seat 74-79, is an easy bolt on.

If the seat is in good nick they are worth a $, probably the best Special seat.

Oh and my plan/goal is to turn this bike into a Bobber/Rigid.

But have been hearing mixed things about Bobber. Would like a semi-comfortable bike. So I am looking at maybe trying to do a mono shock? Or maybe Bratstyle ?

Opinions/Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi KHenman,
rigids can look real nice if they're done right but IMHO looking nice is all they are good for and the only good place to ride one is to your chiropractor's office to get your spine readjusted.
Bratstyled bikes are OK but their riding posture is not good unless you got Duck's Disease.
Monoshock? You got an engineering degree?
A Bobber in it's original meaning of every inessential thing bobbed off it or replaced with a lighter weight replacement?
Now that's a good thought, to a former 650 Triumph owner the XS650 is at least 60lbs overweight and could stand to be put on a diet.

I'd tend to agree with what's been mentioned get it running first. Then decide the direction. Some builds cost more then others if you need motor work that may adjust your direction. The cool thing about the XS650 is they can take so many different shapes and for the most part all look good.

I built a bobber and it's bouncy and can be harsh but it's fun to scoot around on. I'm not going cross country on it but I could ride it all day.

The brats I'm told ride smoother but with the short shocks I can't imagine they ride much different.

Good Stuff. Thank you for reply's and info ! Much appreciated !

For now still have lots of polishing and cleaning to do. Then carb work.

Would like to put back together and ride as-is, like suggested.

Maybe Cafe or Scrambler would be the way to go. Too many choices !

Can I almost see original buckhorn bars in that 1st pic? If so, that's the first thing I would change, even before I left my driveway for the 1st time. I recently had the EXTREME displeasure of driving an old original Special with them. I'd always read about, and agreed just by looking at them, how bad those bars were. Now I know from actual experience. I suppose I can't totally condemn cruising in a straight line with them, ..... but the corners were a nightmare. I can't believe Yamaha could even sell bikes equipped like that. In today's lawsuit- crazy world, they would be sued out of business, lol.

Good choice to pick the XS650 Looks like you found a good learner bike, needs TLC but not a disaster. Start your "education" by removing the LH side cover and cleaning up behind there. It needs to be done sooner or later and you will probably find at least one issue to put to bed while cleaning your way in. push rod seal, loose sprocket, clutch worm clean up all are on the "to do" list. Read up on and do a head stud retorque also.
Hint; hit the footpeg rubber mounts with spray silicone and wiggle them a bit before trying to remove them.

Back