First Yamaha XS650

Guyver

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've been riding for just under 40 years now and a couple of days ago I purchased my first XS650; which is a 1972 XS-2. I fell in love with the bike as soon as I saw it. It's relatively slow compared to other bikes I've had, it's heavy with sluggish handling, leaks gas because I need to rebuild the carbs, it's loud and it vibrates more and more the faster you go...in short, it's everything it should be.

I fixed the wiring issues and got the turn signals working and made a quick release for the seat. The bike had a one year-old paint job and came with new tires, a new battery, new coil over rear shocks, new chain, a new LED headlight with integrated turn signals and a new LED taillight. I'm replacing the turn signals, adding bar end mirrors, new headlight brackets and a leather bag for the forks.

I'm amazed that it has an electric start, the bike fires right up (cold and sitting overnight or not) and has a nice lazy idle. It kickstarts with ease and runs extremely well. I paid $2,300 for it and the seller threw in the matching helmet and a nice pair of gloves.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200315-055308~2.png
    Screenshot_20200315-055308~2.png
    1 MB · Views: 248
  • IMG_20200315_174619.jpg
    IMG_20200315_174619.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 241
Very nice - looks like you've got yourself a ballgame there Guyver!

It never ceases to amaze me how many nice XS650s are out there hiding in barns, sheds, people's garages etc. etc.

It never ceases to amaze me how many nice XS650s are out there hiding in barns, sheds, people's garages etc. etc.

I was surprised as could be that it was still available and I really love the paint scheme. I am contemeplating having the fenders painted white to match.

Welcome the group... is that a re-laced 16 inch rear wheel.. ? A swap to a 31 tooth rear sprocket will help with the vib's…. match'n fender paint, with stripes,,,,, would be nice.. they sell a better.. comfortable seat.
I swap all my XS to a 31 or 32 rear sprocket. More photos !

I've been riding for just under 40 years now and a couple of days ago I purchased my first XS650; which is a 1972 XS-2. I fell in love with the bike as soon as I saw it. It's relatively slow compared to other bikes I've had, it's heavy with sluggish handling, leaks gas because I need to rebuild the carbs, it's loud and it vibrates more and more the faster you go...in short, it's everything it should be.
I fixed the wiring issues and got the turn signals working and made a quick release for the seat. The bike had a one year-old paint job and came with new tires, a new battery, new coil over rear shocks, new chain, a new LED headlight with integrated turn signals and a new LED taillight. I'm replacing the turn signals, adding bar end mirrors, new headlight brackets and a leather bag for the forks.
I'm amazed that it has an electric start, the bike fires right up (cold and sitting overnight or not) and has a nice lazy idle. It kickstarts with ease and runs extremely well. I paid $2,300 for it and the seller threw in the matching helmet and a nice pair of gloves.

Hi Guyver and welcome,
nice makeover, eh? I trust the new chain has new sprockets to go with it?

if the sprockets are still the stock 17T/34T the bike's overall gearing won't change because
the bike's (presumably) 130/90-16 rear tire has eff nigh the same OD as the stock 110/90-18.
And check the tires' age stamp. "Unworn" and "new" ain't the same thing.
My bike rode solo the nicest on 17T/33T
Suggest you drill the front brake disk full of holes.

Hi there, it's a 16 inch wheel, that's all I know about other than the tire size. I'll have to do a tooth count to see where that's at. I appreciate your feedback and letting me know about the rear sprocket. I am planning matching paint on the fenders and two short angled stripes on the front. I am going to replace the seat with a humpback cafe style. Any recommendations?

Hi Guyver and welcome,
nice makeover, eh? I trust the new chain has new sprockets to go with it?

if the sprockets are still the stock 17T/34T the bike's overall gearing won't change because
the bike's (presumably) 130/90-16 rear tire has eff nigh the same OD as the stock 110/90-18.
And check the tires' age stamp. "Unworn" and "new" ain't the same thing.
My bike rode solo the nicest on 17T/33T
Suggest you drill the front brake disk full of holes.

Thanks for your input; i certainly hope they replaced the sprockets when they did the chain, waste otherwise. i'll have to count the teeth on the sprockets to determine if they are stock. The tires are brand new; I will be going with some scramblers next go round. i'll have too see if a local shop drills out rotors. i'd rather not do it myself.

- - - i'll have too see if a local shop drills out rotors. i'd rather not do it myself.

Hi Guyver,
yeah, XS650 brake disks are made from a REALLY tough Stainless Steel alloy.
I drilled 5 of the bastards a decade ago. (Before I knew that the '77 & later one piece disks would swap with XS11 slotted disks)
Note that the 2-piece rotors DON'T swap because they have a different dish height.
Drilling the disks needs a pillar drill, cobalt-steel drill bits, flood cooling, high tool pressure & the drill's slowest speed.
Unless you have all that you are right, take it to a machine shop.

Hi Guyver,
I drilled 5 of the bastards a decade ago. (Before I knew that the '77 & later one piece disks would swap with XS11 slotted disks)
Note that the 2-piece rotors DON'T swap because they have a different dish height.
Drilling the disks needs a pillar drill, cobalt-steel drill bits, flood cooling, high tool pressure & the drill's slowest speed.

Attachments

• IMG_20200103_095255.jpg
    IMG_20200103_095255.jpg
    254.5 KB · Views: 191
Hi Guyver,

I have a well equipped garage and shop; however, I am very familiar with drilling through hardened steel and it would definitely be going to a machine shop to be drilled out.

Plenty of 298 mm aftermarket disc rotors that will fit stock hub and calipers. I would just upgrade to brembo or blue dot calipers and adjust disc rotor as applicable.

Plenty of 298 mm aftermarket disc rotors that will fit stock hub and calipers. I would just upgrade to brembo or blue dot calipers with and adjust disc rotor as applicable.

Thanks; I'll start doing some research to make that happen. Your bike sounds really well set up. I can't wait to start working on mine. My last street bike was a built 1983 SUzuki GS1100E putting 143 hp to the ground. I would back off before that bike would.

I love everything about the bike; just getting used to the weight and heavy steering. I'm used to a much lighter and more nimble machine.
Nice to see your new toy there.
Noticing you may want to put on longer shocks to improve that handling. How long are those shocks eye to eye ?
Research shock threads for the 72 ish .. it a thing lol
-R

Back