fitting new mufflers

gravelman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hi guys i got a question here i was fitting my new stock original mufflers on my xs2 and i cant figure out the sequnce here do u tighten the the threaded coller when u have muffler on pipe cause if i thighten it off the bike the gasket wont allow the muffler to slip on its my first set of mufflers this style so i guess i sound stupid but any help would be welcome thanks joe

I would put the gasket and nut on the muffler just far enough so the nut is on the threads. Slide the muffler on the head pipes. If it wont go on the headpipe that way, slip the nut up on the header, slip the gasket just up onto the header. Now holding the muffler up on the pipe , start the nut on the muffler.
Get the rest of the mount bolts started. Once everything is started, tighten the nuts and bolts up starting at the head and working back leaving the muffler nut to last.
A strap wrench should work to snug up the muffler nut. If not you might try a hammer and punch. Be gentle and you might get it tight with out to many dings.
Mike's sells a wrench just for that nut. Might be the same wrench that fit the shocks and steering head nuts.
Leo

hi thanks for ur info i kinda gatered that was rthe sequence after i mauled in my haed for few days i ordered the ring wrench but iam having problems with the final stage of paypal it keeps repeating step 3 and wont process so i dont know weater its an issue with paypall ot the 650 direct site i emailed them so hope fully i get answer tomorrow thanks again joe

Back