fj1200 on xs6500? is it possible.

howry

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hi all,
got the opportunity to have WHOLE front end of fj1200,
what i was wondering, ya think its a good idea to stick it on
xs650? is it possible even? any thoughts?
thank you in advance :p

the fj1200 got
Upper: 25 x 47 x 15
Lower: 30 x 55 x 17

and currently the xs650 got
Upper: 25 x 48 x 15.2
Lower: 30 x 48 x 15

Seems like it's going to be overkill. That FJ12 probably made twice the power and weighed 150 pounds more than an XS. Why do you want to use it? Check ride height too, that FJ12 is a tall engine.

tho the bike got 140mm clearance. if im not mistaken, the xs650 got 135mm. but yeah, you right, the fj12 is more powerful then xs650. the guy is offered me a really good price, so thats the reason im asking around :)

have a look at this one.
fj1200_chopper.jpg
tho custom frame, but what about the engine?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea or wrong just asking if it fits the image you have of what you want your bike to become?
That can be a tough question to answer. At least for me. I have been looking at a bare 77 frame for three days trying to decide how to build it up.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea or wrong just asking if it fits the image you have of what you want your bike to become?
That can be a tough question to answer. At least for me. I have been looking at a bare 77 frame for three days trying to decide how to build it up.

it was hard for me to decide. but i do wanna have the front to look similar to the pic above. i mean, the rear tire is gonna be 190. sport. and so it wouldnt be a bad idea to have the front slightly more massive then its now. oh and the guy said, the front is pretty light. so i dunno if the weight is going to be the problem.
thanks for your input :)

I think it would work out pretty good. The clamps are heavier, but that don't amount to much. The fork tubes are 41MM I think. Would make a good choice for a street tracker or Cafe style for sure. The brakes will be mondo, which is OK. If I used it, I would make sure the rear swingarm gets braced and bushed tight, and high quality shocks. Don't know what you had in mind, but that front will want a good performing rear setup. I don't think it would overwhelm a stock rear, but it would be a shame to waste a stiffer, more capable front end.

If you intend to have a sporting chassis, go for it.

Last edited:
I think it would work out pretty good. The clamps are heavier, but that don't amount to much. The fork tubes are 41MM I think. Would make a good choice for a street tracker or Cafe style for sure. The brakes will be mondo, which is OK. If I used it, I would make sure the rear swingarm gets braced and bushed tight, and high quality shocks. Don't know what you had in mind, but that front will want a good performing rear setup. I don't think it would overwhelm a stock rear, but it would be a shame to waste a stiffer, more capable front end.

If you intend to have a sporting chassis, go for it.

hi, tnx for your input. to answer your question, i am planning to chop xs650, get hardtail. but as it will have a fat tire, i thought the front should look bit more massive :)

The extra weight of the rotating mass on both ends should aid straight line stability, but a heavier and stiffer front end may flex the steering head pretty hard if you stretch or rake the front.

The extra weight of the rotating mass on both ends should aid straight line stability, but a heavier and stiffer front end may flex the steering head pretty hard if you stretch or rake the front.

here is the pic. and im not doing anything to the bike, except for 3inch stretch. and 190mm tire, with a jackshaft. the neck will be the same. if its possible. if not well, then im gonna skip and wont use the fj1200

Attachments

• IMG00412.jpg
    IMG00412.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG00409.jpg
    IMG00409.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 171
I like that rear swingarm setup too, nice big disk brake, wide wheel & tire...

it would be great eh. but i wont be using it. just the front end. thats what my concern is. if im able or is it worth it, to swap fj1200 with xs650.

but yeah, would be great bike, if it put few stuff on it.

seems to me you are adding a lot of unsprung weight. The 1100 is a much heavier package so the sprung/unsprung ratio is tolerable but on the XS package I'm thinking this suspension will certainly not be an improvement.

That's what I was thinking. I think the heft and stiffness would over-work the steering stem and frame connections on the XS 650 frame.

That's what I was thinking. I think the heft and stiffness would over-work the steering stem and frame connections on the XS 650 frame.

wow, i thought it would work. there is a thread on here, about differ bearing for front swap. that sucks then. not a good news :( but really tnx for the input.

wow, i thought it would work. there is a thread on here, about differ bearing for front swap. that sucks then. not a good news :( but really tnx for the input.

Well, it all means by what you mean by "work" i.e. what's the bike going to be? For a Road-Racer, Cafe, or any kind of canyon carver it is not the way to go but for a Chopper, Bobber or any kind of hard-tailer, if you like the looks go for it- it will have great brakes!

Well, it all means by what you mean by "work" i.e. what's the bike going to be? For a Road-Racer, Cafe, or any kind of canyon carver it is not the way to go but for a Chopper, Bobber or any kind of hard-tailer, if you like the looks go for it- it will have great brakes!

im not using the frame, im just gonna take the forks from fj1200 and stick them on xs650, then hardtail the bike with 3inch stretch. is it clear anything about the what kind of bike im looking at? :)

im not using the frame, im just gonna take the forks from fj1200 and stick them on xs650, then hardtail the bike with 3inch stretch. is it clear anything about the what kind of bike im looking at? :)

Sure. I won't be looking for your scoot on any RR grids. I hope you enjoy the build and the ride.

Geez what a load of crap. If it was a f/end off a R1 or whatever, nobody would be talking weight hp etc, and they are probably heavier. Looks as good a swap as any to me, go for it!

Posted via Mobile

Back