Flattrack racer build

Hope you'll post a video of it running when completed. Did you have any port work done to the head? A smaller port volume with a raised floor of 3mms along with aligning entire port,etc would bias flow to match the lift of the cam,along boosting port velocity. Long rods can be beneficial in cushioning the power delivery but at a cost do to the pumping loses through the port. I'm building a long rod motor myself and after several years of flow testing will all sorts of port configurations imaginable,short side radius's, a D port intake showed the most gains in increasing port velocity over a conventional port tremendously without choking the port. The XS head loves it's floor raised with the short turn and corners laid back for a less erupt turn to the seat and valve. Leave the roof alone "DON"T TOUCH IT"your not concerned about upper flow above .440 lift,you want to match the port to the cam, you'll need to re profile the guide boss area though. You get the port right with those long rods and that cam and your competitors will chasing you down with dirt in their faces. Just passing along a few tips on the head by playing around, Good Luck to You:thumbsup:

Last edited:
I've heard that about this cam and long rod combo so that's why I decided to go with it. I'm not that great of a tuner and I don't have a flow bench so I leave the horsepower making numbers up to other guys and I just put it all together.

Took delivery of these bad boys the other day. It's a bit of an experiment since I've never talked to anyone that has run these in a racing environment. Some think I'm making a mistake. I have faith they will deliver.

Attachments

• IMG_1168.jpg
    IMG_1168.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 321
Been a while when I checked the rule books but at one time they were not allowed in AMA and Ahrma and VDTRA., pretty sure.

Jetting is easier on the lectrons but not tuning,send them back and get mikuni flatslides,I believe they're allowed but ask 650performance. Hugh at Hughshandbuilt has experience with tuning them if you're dead set at using them.

Last edited:
I've heard that about this cam and long rod combo so that's why I decided to go with it. I'm not that great of a tuner and I don't have a flow bench so I leave the horsepower making numbers up to other guys and I just put it all together.

You're missing out on the fun part of building:) Post a vid though.

I never race AHRMA or VDTRA events and the only AMA rulebook that applies here is the Vintage Dirt Track National Championship rulebook and I don't race in that series either.

Most of the promotors I race under are very relaxed about vintage rules. Some of them are AMA sanctioned but they don't follow the Championship rulebook. The AMA Ametuer Competition rulebook doesn't have any vintage specific rules.

I think the only way anyone would protest my bike is if I totally dominated (highly unlikely) or if they were the type to want to cause trouble. Besides, look at my forks and brakes. Not vintage. The promotors I race under don't care if your suspension is fully adjustable. Just no single shock frames and engines made before a certain year. That's about it.

Again I only do this because I can.

Attachments

• IMG_0652.jpg
    IMG_0652.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 283
You can go larger on the carb will a long rod motor because they'll pull much harder than a short rod on the port through mid stroke and as the piston dwells on BTC the inertia motion of the intake charge will pack the cylinders tighter . That's beauty of going L/R, you'll produce more power once the package is dialed in.

For Jack and 650perf, if technology or even just more development has allowed a 650/750 to produce more power than in their hayday, what about the cases? Aren't they the weak link near 73-75 hp?

Yep. Assuming the cases are stock XS bits and that they are otherwise crack and flaw free, they can handle up to about 71 - 73 RWHP in a racing environment, e.g. repeated periods of maximum rpm and output. This also assumes the rotating group is balanced reasonably well. When they begin to crack it usually begins in the area around the oil uptube in front of the cylinders. The 80+/- RWHP OU engines were accompanied by beefier cases but only about 75 or so sets were ever made so they are unobtainium in 2015.

Before I installed the engine in the frame I made up this rudimentary swing arm stand.
Then I got the engine mounted and started working on the coil mount and coil wires. Once that was done I hooked up the pipes and started working on the wiring harness and kill switch connections. Then I had a look at the breather unit that mounts to the top of the engine and it seems like it's really restrictive. I always thought it was best to vent as much crankcase pressure as possible. Would it be ok to leave the little sheet metal insert out of the unit or would too much oil escape out the breather?

I did a trial fit of the carburetors and they don't fit very well. I'll have to do some massaging of the intake spigot and hose to see if I can improve things. Almost seems like I need a spigot that mounts the carb at an angle.

Attachments

• IMG_1174.jpg
    IMG_1174.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_1173.jpg
    IMG_1173.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 376
  • IMG_1172.jpg
    IMG_1172.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_1170.jpg
    IMG_1170.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_1177.jpg
    IMG_1177.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_1178.jpg
    IMG_1178.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_1176.jpg
    IMG_1176.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_1175.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_1180.jpg
    IMG_1180.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 388
Can your rubber intake hose be shortened a little?

Yes it can. The carb holder can be shortened too. But it's not just the length that's the problem. The angle is wrong too (hard to see in the pic). Making the carb fit will be relatively easy. It's how to make the air cleaner clear the frame.

Last edited:
I noticed when reading the product description for some copper washers I bought from Mike's that some of the washers can be used for the clutch cover bolts. For those that are reading, can anyone tell me which bolts on the clutch cover take copper washers? Is it the four long bolts around the oil filter area?

Tho it might seem like I'm addressing this a little late in the game, I was wondering if the type of oil cooler shown in the pics is a safe bet on a high output engine in a racing environment? The cooler housing might take a beating over time but I'm not worried about that. I was also wondering if the stock type oil sump screen is ok to use as well. I have replaced the screen with a new one from 650 Central but I'm just wondering if the stock oiling system has flaws that can't handle a high output engine.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_1183.jpg
    IMG_1183.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 252
Back