Float taking on gas

Dastommy

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have had a nasty leak out of the left carb last couple days. After pissing 4 gallons of 93 octane I decided maybe I should do something about it. On a side note if you want to get super high, go sit in my garage for an hour with the door closed. Anyways I'm wondering if I should set the float at a higher MM to compensate for the increased weight as a temp fix until I can get a hold of a new one? Anyone ever tried that? If I can find the whole and JB weld patch it I would have to compensate for the extra weight. Some sort of chart exist before I go through the try and multiple error route?

Thanks for any input.

Changing the float level won't help or at least not enough and without causing other problems.

Where is it leaking from exactly? What year is your bike? Has the gas worn off of you? :)

Have not found a hole in the brass float yet but can hear a tiny rattle of gas stuck inside, 78 special, the gas is just getting good. Might be time to open the door.

People solder the brass floats sometimes. Don't know the exact procedure. Probably like sweating plumbing. JB isn't advertised as fuel proof.

It looks like some brazing has already been done on it from the previous owner. Ask 5twins what he thinks about that guy. He had the wrong regulator on it and I fried my entire charging system. We spent all day Sunday rebuilding it. Did the vr-115 mod and 5twins built up a homemade rectifier out of a computer. Works great.

I'm thinking of setting it 26-28mm range and giving it a shot tomorrow and see how it goes. Will have to rig up a remote viewing fuel tube. Don't think I'm in the right mind to put it back together tonight. Are you my grandma?

5 is either super helpful by nature or compulsive :) I'll assume the former.

I went through Buffalo on a train around Dec. of 2001 during a record snowstorm. Fun trip.

Buffalo is great. We get all 4 seasons and if you get out and enjoy each one, you'ld love it here. Motorcycles/boats in the summer, skiing, snowmobiles in the winter. Spring and fall depend on if Mother Nature turns the snow machine off. The city is run down a bit but rebuilding from downtown and outwards. Suburbs are great. Cost of living and everything else is cheap compared to most other city's. I love it here.

So in theory, since I have now left the gas filled garage; if the float weights more, one should compensate by lowering the float level so the carb doesn't call for excess gas to meet its need. In theory would that work? What I'll do is take it in to work, drill a small hole to drain it and then braze it closed.

^I'd solder rather than braze if I couldn't replace. I'd say you're right about the compensation, but I doubt you could compensate enough to stop it from leaking. And you'd be fiddling with the mixture as a side effect. Not worth the attempt to me. I'd suggest an oem float from a dealer if they're available. Ebay for plastic floats, but make sure they're genuine Mikuni.

The carb guide tells you to check both sides when setting height and ensure they are even. This is a very common practice. The fuel will follow the float with the highest buoyancy if one side is "wet" and can drift sideways on the pin and bind at the support tower. Better off to just get new floats. Although everyone keeps reporting that you can solder the brass floats, I don't see a lot of people bragging about their success at it.
$0.02

if your 5t's pal, why is he letting you do it this way? just get a new float and be done?
Is he teaching you thru the school of hard knocks? lol
once when I was getting a 71 back on the road, It would only sputter and die, add lots of jeager and closed doors, and well, woke up the next morning, safe in my bed, garage turned off, house not burned down, but didn't remember how I got from fiddling with points, to waking up next to my wife, safe and sound. I asked her if I was in bed when she got home(night driver) and she wondered why. I said oh, just wondering, and wandered out to the grage to find everything just fine. close call. be careful.

My personality and background is make it yourself, don't throw money at it. Proper isn't fun, trying something no ones succeeded at is. To me, perfection is ugly. Hack job that works is sexy. I work on 60+ year old buildings and I can't go to Home Depot for parts. Making something out of parts in the shop is my way of life.

Make some sealer and make a chart for how to bias the float level for a gob of shit stuck to it then. :laugh:
Time to open the garage door. Your original post started with this being a temp repair til you can get a new one. :)

I would suggest that you open the garage door if what you say is true about the gas leak. It's a wonder you didn't blow the garage up by turning on the lights. Smoke dope less harmful pot :D. Huffing causes brain damage from what hear about it. If it has something rattling around in it could be a ball of solder. I would take a look at the float needle and the o ring it could be where it is leaking. I think if the float still floats is the important part.

I would suggest that you open the garage door if what you say is true about the gas leak. It's a wonder you didn't blow the garage up by turning on the lights. Smoke dope less harmful pot :D. Huffing causes brain damage from what hear about it. If it has something rattling around in it could be a ball of solder. I would take a look at the float needle and the o ring it could be where it is leaking. I think if the float still floats is the important part.

Back