Fool's Errand?

Not quite sure what the plan is for chrome as of yet. Thinkin' that's something that could get REAL expensive REAL quick, and like Pete says, those places are becoming fewer and fewer. Seen a couple vids on the water borne, environmentally friendly, spray stuff, but don't know how the durability would be with that. Got time to research more before I get to that point.

When I get a chance I'm going to swing by the local shop where I get my Harley parts. Rich, the guy that works the counter has been there forever. Plus he races hot rod mini bikes down by Detroit, generally if you need stuff like that he knows somebody.

..locally.. chrome.... $$$$.... with Mike's Xs re pop muffs.... and replacement handlebars... all of the misc Xs bits gets plated for about $1800.oo.... we use the old headers because they'r double wall... stock.... Mike's Xs is single wall... prior to plate work.. we toss the headers in a kilm and cook the carbon out....

Little bit of progress. 100_0030.JPG 100_0024.JPG 100_0027.JPG 100_0029.JPG

Not quite sure what the plan is for chrome as of yet. Thinkin' that's something that could get REAL expensive REAL quick, and like Pete says, those places are becoming fewer and fewer. Seen a couple vids on the water borne, environmentally friendly, spray stuff, but don't know how the durability would be with that. Got time to research more before I get to that point.
I have some pitted parts on a restore I'm doing now. One of my Christmas presents was a small Powder Coat machine. I bought some Chrome powder and clear-coat powder and I'm going to try that route.

Last edited:
I have some pitted parts on a restore I'm doing now. one of my Christmas presents was a small Powder Coat machine. I bought some Chrome powder and clear-coat powder and I'm going to try that route.

Please post up your comments and results Wingedwheel. I for one would be very interested.

I will definitely be posting my results as soon as the temp here climbs out of the single digits. Too f'ng cold to be in the garage right now even with my little heater.

First option is going to be a good cleaning, then see how bad things really are. Figure I'll swing by TSC and pick up a jug of Milk Solids Reducer and give that a whirl, soak a few bits and see what happens. Not opposed to. the "10 footer" class.

Good eye 2M. I just finished an engine that had stuck rings, be careful Beags64, getting those off can be a PITA

Use molasses in a solution of water, and soak all chrome components in the bath. This will take any amount of time depending on the temperature, (and the ratio of molasses to water), of the solution and the environmental temperature. The chrome looks to be good enough and may clean up enough to be That 10 ft rider. Just don't do to good of a job polishing the motor because that standard will have to be kept up or the 10 footer parts will bring the bike down

Rings have got a little wiggle in 'em, been soaking and moving here & there trying to loosen them up. Haven't had much time to be in the garage this week. These single digit temps have kept us a bit busy at work, something about people wanting their furnaces to work right when it's an even 0deg out side.

As to Skull's point, how well the chrome cleans up or not will determine motor polish level. If the chrome cleans up decent then the motor will be brought up to that. On the other hand, if there is re-chroming involved, then motor would have to be full on "jewelry" status. Gotta try and keep everything (chrome, paint, polish) on an even plane.

Dare I say a "tart up"? With the engine apart it will not take much time to scrub the cooling fines and rocker cover then dust with a bit of rattle can aluminium paint. Also, you do not have to go wild on polishing, a very fine steel wool will do a nice job on the side covers without going to a mirror finish.

Back