Foot pegs

quit being a tampon Jimmy....:laugh:

Seriously though, can you imagine the screetching sound you would hear when the teeth on those things make it through your shin and rake against bone?:yikes:

Seriously though. What do you think I'm talking about? Kickstarting into those, might as well step in a bear trap

Posted via Mobile

Hey Gang,

I've been watching this thread and have some thoughts on the non-brass version of the soon to be released XS pegs. I lean towards pregrid's opinion that the tracker/cafe version should be geared towards performance rather than pure bling. Taking that a step further performance with bling is even better.

This is my perfect peg:

Duplicate the geometry of the original stock pegs. They are only ugly because they are rubber.... and I like the flat tops.

Make them out of Aluminum or Stainless.

Include the bevel cut at the bottom outside corner...for when you scrape them. Then inset a replaceable carbon steel wear strip in the bottom bevel...(gotta have sparks)!

Oh, and the proper terms are not 'grippage' or 'gription'. The term is 'gripification', with the correct amount ye shall be 'Gripified!

Postnote: I am older now and may never scrape another peg. But back in the day if my riding buddies or myself saw sparks flying off pegs we would realize that we were riding like idiots and we would slow down. ...real quick!...........(usually).

Machined from raw materials on a low production run, yeah, everyone wants a set of $300 pegs :doh: :laugh:

$300 OUCH!, knock off a 0 and I'd be interested. The foot peg rubbers from MikesXS I have right now are junk, the rubber is falling apart. I have a set similar to these http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/1576/Large-ISO-Pegs I was going to try, but I'm worried about drilling out the rivet and then finding they don't work out. New rubbers from the dealer are about $17 each.

$300 was in response to all the post above. I have in my hands a really sweet lookin' 6061 Aluminum Peg that should hit the spot! Maybe if you guys straighten up a lil' bit and fly right I'll get you some spy photos :thumbsup:

those dont look like much gripification at all to me as an ex-motocrosser. I think that a courser knurl and a slightly raised lip end on the peg (maybe 1/8in) and maybe 3/4in longer overall would greatly make good grip and keep Jimmys knees from cringing. maybe if the grooves were cut slightly deeper to clean out better also. jmo

those dont look like much gripification at all to me as an ex-motocrosser. I think that a courser knurl and a slightly raised lip end on the peg (maybe 1/8in) and maybe 3/4in longer overall would greatly make good grip and keep Jimmys knees from cringing. maybe if the grooves were cut slightly deeper to clean out better also. jmo

I'm 6' tall not 5'2 I'm worried about my right shin. The poor thing has been through enough as a kid. Kick starting dirtbikes in the cold.... You gouge your shin on those suckers enough you decide it's too much of a PITA to ride that day.... Then you forget what happened 1 hour before and do it again..... :bike:

6'1' peeled it 500 times and still kickin over pegs that have been filed sharp to bite more... guess Its just a risk worth taking for that grin you just cant get rid of.....

Im gonna run over to Hugh's and get you guys a sneak peak of what I came up with while Im there. No raised lip cause I was trying to make a peg that over all feels like the brass ones I do (which I also offer with knurling) but it didn't sound like what guys were looking for. So these ones are a little different, with styling cues from the brass ones. You'll see!

hey I ride hardtail anyways If I could afford the bling that would be the way I would want to go anyways... But thanks Tom you seem to be turning out some really clean pieces..

$300 was in response to all the post above. I have in my hands a really sweet lookin' 6061 Aluminum Peg that should hit the spot! Maybe if you guys straighten up a lil' bit and fly right I'll get you some spy photos :thumbsup:

I'll be nice if they will!:D

Posted via Mobile

Gription!

100_6260.jpg

100_6261.jpg

Just a little information on the new Knurled XS pegs for you folks:

Made from Solid 6061 Aluminum, this oversized peg is 1.25" in diameter and knurled with his roughest knurling pattern for extra "Gription". Extra deep grooves, Deep Six Cycles signature reverse dished ends, and a brushed finish make these a killer addition to any XS650. Toss those ugly mofo rubber things in the trash, because these mount up just like stock pegs to the factory brackets.

Retail is going to be $85.00 a set, with all hardware to mount them up included. Be sure to get up with Tom over at Deep Six Cycles if you want a set.

those are tough as hell!!! thats not a bad price at all for what has been done to them.. Were they thinking of making a universal base that is just threaded? not so much an oem mount but maybe a 3/4in spline base, large nut with a codder pin attachment?? Just a thought.... thanks for the sneek peek!

Yeah, Tom makes pegs with female threads all the time, and you can use universal adapters on those. These are 1 piece, with no need for adapters to fit the XS stock brackets. Its a nice fit for sure.

If you just want a peg minus the adapter part machined into, he does that all the time as well.

Perhaps some, but since the stock brackets are rubber mounted to the frame, I'd think it would be just fine if you installed new bushings at the same time. Most stock bushings are pretty beat out as it is...

I like 'em. I've got new bushings for the mount so i'm hopin' that'll help. Do these new pegs still use the spring? Any mods to the original mounts?

I like 'em. I've got new bushings for the mount so i'm hopin' that'll help. Do these new pegs still use the spring? Any mods to the original mounts?

They do not keep the springs - I've ditched the springs on several builds now with custom pegs, you won't notice a difference, and all you have to do is drill/grind out the old pin to mount them up.

Back