Forgot ball bearing, can I remove clutch rod from left side?

Jaymichael

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey all. So I was setting up my clutch adjustment today and realized there was too much space between the actuator and the clutch rod. Took a look at the diagram and doh! Pretty sure I have forgotten the ball bearing that goes between the clutch rod and the push crown on the clutch pack side. I swapped out my multi piece rod for a 1 piece and I guess I wasn't aware I still needed that ball bearing.

Now, my question... Can I pull the 1 piece push rod out the left side and simply add the missing ball bearing and then push it across with the rod? Or do I need to full my ride side cover and install from the clutch pack side?

Any help appreciated!

I guess I did the same thing. I was kick starting the bike with the left engine cover off. I finally got it going, stood on the right side gunning the throttle amazed at my mechanical skills. After a couple of minutes, my son walks in and says "hey, what's all that brown stuff on the floor?" There was a huge puddle of oil! The pushrod had popped out and the ball bearing was lying beside it. I shut down the bike, picked up the ball bearing, popped it back,in the hole and stuffed in the push rod. I think I lost about a litre of oil, and, I'm pretty sure I didn't damage anything as there was still a decent amount of oil in the bike ( it looked to be at the bottom of the dip stick). I assume the ball bearing and push rod are now properly installed?

They should be, as long as you installed the pushrod with the stepped end facing out .....

PushrodEnd.jpg

PushrodGreased.jpg

You would have thunk they used a Japanese supplier for the turn signals also.
Check the inside of the turn signals. Made in the USA.

My tractor has an Asian engine, American chassis, and a mix of SAE & metric.

If it had a speedometer, I'm sure it'd be in "Furlongs per Fortnight"...

S2R! S2R!!! S2R... SIT! DOWN! DOWN!!! Jesus. S2R...! DOWN! Good God... HONEY...! Grab the shock collar, would ya? Yeeees... He SLIPPED the chain again. Goddammit S2R! I know, I know... Oh, he musta seen one of those alley threads coming by and he just goes NUTS, you know... I know, the vet says we gotta get him cut. I will. I WILL...! I will call in the morning. OK, ok... Crap...

Back