fork cap nuts

uknowme2goog

XS650,1980, Bobber
Reaction score
Looking to replace the oil in the front fork tubes of 1980 xs650. i drained the oil from each leg. Having trouble getting the fork cap nuts off. Used 8" box wrench couldnt move the nuts on either tube, tried to tap the box wrench with a hammer, nothing....tryed a 15" adjustable wrench, but it started to strip the cap nut head...any suggestions on how to get them off...

Also, when i look into the center of the cap nuts there is a slot as if you could turn it with a flat head screw driver.

Last edited:
Make sure the pinch bolts holding the fork tubes at the top of the tripple tree are loose. Seems like it wouldn't make a difference, but it helps a bit.

For leverage, I have a piece of fence pipe that I put over my ratchet handle. Backing off the spring adjuster might help. A car stereo shop nearby uses dry ice on stubborn fasteners. You can buy it at welding stores and some supermarkets.

Whenever I don't know, I grab a ruler and measure ..... works for me but I'll admit to being a bit independently minded, lol.

Loosen the upper tree clamp bots, leave the lower clamp bolts tight. This holds the tube. The clamping force of the upper tree around the tubes is about where the threaded part of the cap is. So the tree clamps also clamp the tubes to the caps.
Once you loosen those upper bolts the caps come right out.
That slot you see down inside the caps are preload adjusters. They have three positions. At about 3/4 inch intervals. Use a large screwdriver, you push down and turn to adjust. Clockwise increases the preload, counterclockwise decreases the preload. You want the preload set at the lightest setting to remove and install the caps. When you get a cap out you will see just how the adjuster works.

The threads on the adjusters are very fine and easily stripped. Use caution while re-inserting, kinda tricky there. If you do bugger them up you can straighten them out, somewhat, with a knife blade or something thin enough to work in the threads.

ok...progress...i got the cap nuts off, the key was to loosen the triple tree nuts, but no one told me that the pressure from the spring would make the cap nut shoot out like a rocket..almost lost a eye.

Last edited:
more progress...i understand how the preload adjusters work....i guess i will set the preload cap screw to the lowest presure setting (screw head to the top of the cap nut bolt)and after it is installed then i can turn the screw down into the cap nut and incrasee the spring load.

i will then fill the fork tubes with oil, 6oz or until i am 6" below the top of the fork tube and then install the spring...

question...How do i compress the spring (about 5" sticking out of the top of fork tube) while holding the spring seat and turn cap nut all at once?

no one told me that the pressure from the spring would make the cap nut shoot out like a rocket..almost lost a eye.

Somebody should have mentioned that. If you'd been over it looking down at it, it could have knocked you cold.

question...How do i compress the spring (about 5" sticking out of the top of fork tube) while holding the spring seat and turn cap nut all at once?

I'm not sure if I had my front end off the ground. I doubt it. I remember pressing with all my might and I think I remember pressing on a screwdriver stuck in the adjuster hole and starting it back in that way. Don't force it; let it start itself. Turn it backwards and forwards again until it starts. When you finish make sure both adjusters are set to the same position.

The Clymer manual don't even tell you that the cap nuts will shoot out..!! the first one hit the ceiling. the second, i placed a towel of it while unscrewing. I don't see anything in the Clymer book about the preload adjusters or how to re-install the springs and cap nuts... i tryed to install the cap nuts/springs, but it was to much..tomorrows another day..keep you all posted..

Jack the front end up and get the weight off of the front forks, the spring should end up a little lower than the bottom of the cap threads, then install the cap carefully to not strip the threads, pushing down while screwing them on.

really? right now both of the springs are sitting in the fork tubes and are 5" above the cap nut threads....Tomorrow, i will jack up the front end and see of the forks extend and the springs drop down below the tube threads...

Back