Fork options for xs1?

connorjex

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am finally getting my feet under me a bit at the start of my xs1 cafe build. However i am constantly amazed at the amount of directions one can take when building one of these bikes. A few items in particular perplex me. I am looking at a fork swap though i am seeing thag xs1s are a little different in the frame than the later bikes. And i have seen a lot of options everything from bullet bike forks to later xs forks all that leads me to wonder how bad are the brake drums really and is it worth my time to swap forks to get discs up front?

I am finally getting my feet under me a bit at the start of my xs1 cafe build. However i am constantly amazed at the amount of directions one can take when building one of these bikes. A few items in particular perplex me. I am looking at a fork swap though i am seeing thag xs1s are a little different in the frame than the later bikes. And i have seen a lot of options everything from bullet bike forks to later xs forks all that leads me to wonder how bad are the brake drums really and is it worth my time to swap forks to get discs up front?

Hi connorjex,
compared to the 5" SLS front drum on my 1940s BSA 250 an XS1's 8" 2LS front drum works great.
Compared to a later model XS650's front disk or the Euro version's dual front disks, not so much.
I'd advise swapping to a complete post '76 XS650 front end
(the later the better, they kept making little fork upgrades until end of production)
and double disking it. (LH caliper from XS750/850/1100 Standard)
I dunno if that upgrade is worth your time but improving the brakes can be worth your life.

Back