Fork Question

generallee

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking at Hugh's website and then chop cult at the directions for lowering the forks and realized I do not have the nuts that they show in the directions. Can anyone tell me what's going on or have I over looked something. The bike is a 82 or atleast that's what the frame and title say. Here are some pics.
100_0725.jpg

100_0726.jpg

You're missing two bolts and the two nuts that go on them. The ones that clamp the upper yoke to the tops of the fork tubes.

Hi.

It´s kind of hard to see what´s going on in those pics but it´s look like your missing the top nuts on the inner legs.
Is there a circlip above the washer in the legs?? Hard to see. What´s happening if you compress the fork?? If you´re missing the top nuts the washer should pop out along with the fork springs.

If the front fork is a stock 82 you should have a top nut with an adjustment screw inside the nut.

Hmmmm/BigBoreSwede

Okay, in that case you're missing what the Swede says. There should be a screw-in cap with about a 17mm (?) hex on top of it to put a wrench on. What you have there, I don't know. I have what you're supposed to have on my bike but I don't remember really what it looks like under the cap.

After taking a closer look (and one more beer:thumbsup:) I can´t see any threads inside the legs. Are the fork stock or does it comes from another bike??

/BigBoreSwede

That triple clamp is not from any xs650, so it is likely you have a front end from a different bike.

Are you trying to remove the fork tubes from the lowers? If so push down on that indent and there is a snap ring in there, you need to pry it out with a pick. Be careful, spring pressure.

Yes, those are not original 650 forks. To remove the top plugs, do as Roadcall said. You need to push the cap down in slightly first to remove the pressure on the snap ring. Then it will pry out.

My guess is XS750 tubes, they use the push in plugs and circlips. IF that is the case, the big question then becomes are those XS750 triples or did someone force 36mm XS750 tubes into 35mm XS650 triples? The slots look a little "spread" I am not near my bike so can't compare. Other than the tube size the 2 bikes have the same dimensions between tubes and stem. The XS750 stem is shorter though.

gggGary, if you look a bit closer you will see thats not an XS650 top tree. No risers. Look like the top tree off my 82 Seca. The Seca forks are air forks and are much different than the forks in the pic.
Generallee, do you have a pic of the fork lowers from the side? Someone might be able to tell more about what those forks are if we can see them better.
XS850 a or XS1100 specials maybe. They don't look like the standard XS1100 forks I have.

Thanks for the help guys. I have know idea what they are from. Like I said the frame at least is a 82 according to the title. These are the only pics I have right now, that you can see the lower forks at all (I'm on the road all day today). I'll take more sunday.
100_0710.jpg

100_0711.jpg

I'm trying to figure out which forks I have cause I want to rebuild them and maybe lower them while I wait for my hard tail.

Leo and JamesGS you are so right, not XS650 triples and it appears it has a smaller rotor than the XS650 rotor also. That's one of the downfalls of junkyard engineering; trying to figure out what the parts were from later.

I'll post some pics when I get back home later on tonight. Really didn't want to here that it was a suzi fork. Might just get a springer front end now.

A Suzuki fork isn't nessarily a problem as long as you know they are and can get new seals. It looks like you have oil running down on one.
What diameter are the upper tubes?
What diameter is the brake rotor?
I'm not sure what the forks are. They look to be smaller at the bottom half. The XS650 fork is straight from top to bottom.

I wanted to rebuild and lower them. Anyways I went and picked up a bike this weekend with a buddy and the guy had some 35MM forks and top triple tree so I picked them up for $30 bucks. I think I made out ok. Thanks for the help fellas.

We can still make lowering spacers for em, just get the damper rods out and take some measurements, and I can go from there :thumbsup:

Back