Fork spring stiffness?

One side done, damper had the minton mods. Probably the minton recommended spring to go with the air caps. Now with the v-twin spring 10 weight oil to 6" from the top, compressed, no spring installed. Added some powdered tungsten disulfide to the fork oil and wiped the new seal with it also.

These dampers were drilled with #47 top hole and 4 #11 bottom holes.
Top spring what came out
Bottom spring VTWIN24-0904 35mm Fork Tube Spring Set
DSCN9230.JPG
Should be ready for test ride in the morning.
Fun facts.
5 twins 6" from the top no spring compressed translates to about 185cc of fork oil.

The 74-76 fork caps fit the 35mm forks and are about 10mm deeper than the one year only 77 caps often recommended for the emulator mod. Bonus they are alloy and weigh less than the steel 77 caps.
DSCN9233.JPG
I used these parts plus fork seals
DSCN9232.JPG
they are double seals with lip and spring top and bottom.
IF the PO used the minton recommended fork seals for the air cap system... they suck, were leaking like sieves and fell out of the fork legs when I removed the clip ring. I suspect fork oil was going around them.
These banggood ball head hex bits aren't the most often used tool but with extensions they let you get at a deeply buried allen head that nothing else can get to.
DSCN9235.JPG

Seems like you've stumbled across yet another version of the Minton Mods. I'm not sure how the P.O. did that. The stock holes are usually 2 pairs at 90° to one another .....

0CcHQdx.jpg

You have holes above one another and that just doesn't happen if you simply enlarge the existing holes.

Last edited:
Gotta say after assembling second leg and doing some pushing on the floor testing I thought any damping was negligible. Pretty sure the Mikes carts are going in when they get here. Maybe without pulling the rods again. A bit of good news is that the Virago handlebar risers let me pull caps and springs without messing with the handlebars.

I'm getting pretty tired of working bathed in fork oil.

Last edited:
Got it put together used 10 weight added a bit of tungsten disulphide, did a test ride on the "county's worst road, then repeated the run on resto that has mikes emulators.
random thoughts. That road is BRUTAL! Thought the "mintoned to death" madness forks were a bit less harsh. both did OK, considering.
I think the stiffer springs and resulting slightly higher stance helped stability, could induce a weave at 80 MPH plus but it didn't start in on it's own like before. On normal rotten WI roads ride is fine or better. I prefer it to the stock marshmallow fork feel. the "light weight" dual disk set up is a big improvement over a single disk.
Think it will stay like this for a bit. May install the mikes emulators "later on" But honestly next up is more likely to be a FZR600 fork I happen to have.
Related; I'm not that impressed with the fork brace not sure it adds much stiffness.

Back