Found My Stolen Bike on Craigslist, What to Do??

IIRC, there was a technique used by clever thieves in Texas back in the day. It took advantage of the confusing state titling/licencing system and lack of cross-coordination.

First, they would gain access to your bike, parking lot, the shop, whatever. Then do a simple pencil etch of your vin on paper, go to Louisana, apply for a lost title using that pencil etch. Later, the title would be issued, and they would go to Florida and get the title transferred. They now have a clean/clear Florida title. Later, at their convienance, they would simply take your bike, put on the Florida plate, go to Florida.

Whether you reported it stolen or not, your title would be invalidated for some reason because it's an older title...

That's also why a lot of states did away with RECON TITLES. All I did in the 60's 70's if I had a bike without a title as long as it didn't show up on the stolen list they would give me a new plate to go over the old numbers. But like most of us we has more than one bike and you just switched the plate from one bike to another. I still have one and it doesn't say make or model its just issued to you. Back then if they stole your bike and waited a year the system would kick your bike out and then apply for RECON and you go riding. Back then state to state wasn't connected on stolen vehicles maybe two or three states around you. Now today you got a good chance of getting your stuff back as long as they don't cut it up. One time we were racing and left track to go home and at a place and threw the window we seen our tow bike 80cc yam fly by with this little tiny kid on it. He went right into the woods and gone. Never seen that bike again. Little sucker was fast...

If You know it's your bike.
I would get in touch with seller and make a deal to buy it.
Then it would be on! take a couple friends with You and go get it.
my two friends I might take is.
Sturm Ruger, and Avtomat Kalashnikova just a thought

:thumbsup::thumbsup: unless they got your bike on the n side then id take four friends haha

I think i will go with the "super dumb" bit.

1, he bought a bike with a ground off vin.
2, he tries to sell it on craiglist????????.

Possibly good news. Got out of class this even evening and had a voicemail from a detective in the Westminster PD. It was too late to call back, but he did tell me to call him back, and he said he referred to the bike as mine. Hopefully I'll be getting it back soon.

I've heard from the cops that they are looking into the guy for other stolen vehicles. When I talked to the detective today, he asked me about other bikes or things I may have saw, and he was very interested in a Jeep that the guy was working on (or maybe parting out). He asked me a bunch of questions about it, but I wasn't much help because when I was there I wasn't really focused on much besides my bike.

I was told it would be pretty hard to charge guy with anything, because it was stolen so long ago. I really don't care as long as I get it back.

Maybe an ad on craigslist saying where you found your stolen bike. I'd like for the community to know who to look at when something goes missing.

Tom

Pretty sweet story. I'm guessing it was not insured because you got it back and not the insurance company? 5 years damn. I built a prostreet chopper and a custom van that I've seen years later on craigslist. I thought that was pretty cool. Couldn't imagine the rage I would've felt if they were stolen though.

Hey Monty, Did you get it back? Im from cheyenne too. Hit me up man, Looks like you build some cool stuff. Not many of us around this little town.

Back