Frame up build question

chopit25

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Okay so I will have my frame back from the welder tomorrow and I will start getting my bike together. The frame was sand blasted and repaired which it really needed and all tabs and mounts should be done now. I have no idea on a color scheme yet and this will be my first attempt at painting which will be an exciting adventure. Lol
Anyways I should have just about everything to assemble a complete bike by now and the engine is running well and should just need some tuning. Electrical has all been done and is simple now.
My plan is to fully assemble the bike one time before paint to ensure that everything is correct, tear back down for paint and reassemble as a complete bike and ride the piss out of it, when there is no snow on the ground. Lol
My question is about final assembly. Which loctite should I use? I have always used just a medium, blue. Should I use different strengths for different things on this bike?
Is antisieze only used on the engine? Also what other tips or suggestions should I know or be aware of before I start assembly?
I know that tear down and assemble, tear down and assemble, tear down and assemble is not the most efficient way to do things but I was thinking it would be best for me to make sure it's done right.
Any suggestions appreciated as I tend to over think things or go full retard. No in between. Lol

Oh and I will start a build thread eventually also.

My question is about final assembly. Which loctite should I use? I have always used just a medium, blue. Should I use different strengths for different things on this bike?

The rules of thumb would be use blue on a fastener that tends to come loose on its own for some reason - unless that fastener is prone to seizing and breaking, forcing you to do something like resort to easyouts. And use anti-seize on anything that might seize that would be a problem if it seized.

Hey, chopit25, expect the frame to get dirty/greasy/rusty during trial assembly. Then, just before frame painting, do another media blast. Consider masking off frame/engine mount contact points to ensure good grounding...

Hey, chopit25, expect the frame to get dirty/greasy/rusty during trial assembly. Then, just before frame painting, do another media blast. Consider masking off frame/engine mount contact points to ensure good grounding...

So would you leave the flat side, insinde where engine touches frame on all mounts, just bare? Or is that for the insides where the bolts go thru? On a stock frame isn't it only bare inside where the bolts pass thru. Just curious about corrosion and good grounding surfaces.

^I would probably just mask off part of the frame that touches the top engine mount. Nothing gained by doing any more. Rather than a second blasting you might want to just wipe it down with brake cleaner.

Back