Front brake saves me from nasty deer accident

retiredgentleman

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
It was a beautiful day here in Calgary, and I had a bill to pay down in the city. I left my house on my bike and soon turned onto the Trans Canada highway.

I'm going at about 80 km/hr, in front of the Canada Olympic Park, when I catch some motion on the right side of the highway. The motion is a deer that is about to T-bone me as he attempts to dart across 6 lanes of the the highway.

My first thought is I'm moving fast enough that the deer will go behind my bike. Then I realize that deer is moving so quick he may come in front of me:yikes:. I apply medium hard braking with both brakes, but that's not enough deceleration, so I apply full hard braking with both brakes. The tires screech on the payment, and at the same instant the deer barely passes across the front of the bike. I heard a small thud as my front wheel hit the deer's hind leg. The deer continued across and was instantly gone. I had gone from 80 down to maybe 10 km/hr.

I always believed that my disk brakes worked very well on my bike, and to-day proved it. The rear brake was helpful for sure, but as weight shifts forward, my front brake was my best friend to-day.

Whenever I see riders building bikes with no front brake, I just shake my head in disbelief!

No, I did not have to change my shorts after arriving back home:D

Good to hear you made it:thumbsup:
I know a guy who almost got wiped out my a bald eagle. He was coming up and around a high cliff road and the eagle was coming from far out cutting in and I guess didn't notice the bend in the road. And as the rider rounded the corner he caught it through his mirror and leaned his head/torso just missing his head. The truck driver behind him was going crazy motioning that the eagle missed him by just inches.

Driving instructors say to watch out for other drivers, sounds like we should be more concerned with the animals. :laugh:

Yeah, I was on the edge of my seat reading this.
This is one of my biggest fear up here in the great northern country. I'm might be more afraid of deer than other drivers.

I'm with you RG front brakes the stronger the better. And an occasional practice "panic stop" so you know how hard you can use them. That's really the one thing I don't like about cruisers and old bikes, less than the best front brakes. I had an ST1100 with ABS for a while and those are BRAKES. I decided the computer is smarter than I am and that was not what I expected or wanted to be the case. If you had been on the St you would have had 10 feet or more between you and the deer. I have had several close calls with deer on my motorcycle. They always get my attention. I live in deer heaven and have had countless near misses and several hits with cars. In the evening in a car a passenger is EXPECTED to help watch for deer.

I've always admired the fit, finish and state of maintainence of your bike TRG and your work in general. Not surprising that real performance would be there when needed! I'm with you on the front wheel braking thing & I completely agree with you and Gary.

Great time to call MMM at 650 Central & Vintage Brake for what that can be on your bike. He's really super on this topic! Blue

The more miles I put on my numerous bikes the more I question my decision to run no front brake on my xs chop. I shaved the legs down so I would have to replace that. Considered a drum front but then I would lose my 64 spoke 21 conversion. I ride a mix of city and open country roads. Deer and illegals are my biggest driving obstacles .....either way I think its time to revisit the situation.

Posted via Mobile

Recently picked up a '71 Ironhead. One of the glaring problems is the absence of a front brake! Took it for a ride very carefully as I live in deer country too! Didn't go far......or fast. Fortunately there are attachment points on the legs for a caliper. It will be fitted with a front disc brake as soon as I identify something that will work (ideas anyone?). Oh, there is no front fender either - another "hazard" in my world............ I'm with you RG, front brakes are essential!...................Wesley

Wow, RTG, glad You were paying attention. That made My skin crawl just reading it. 2 years ago, 3 of My friends wee killed in Clorado when an antelope ran in front. They were going too fast, at sunset, wheel to wheel, no helmets. A club run. Your front brake IS YOUR FRIEND.

After the incident when I got back home, I got thinking about a few things. It was just in April this spring that I removed the 33 year old rubber brake lines. I replaced them with the braided steel lines from Mikesxs.com (Canadian version). I'll never know for sure, but that upgrade may have made the difference of me not doing a direct T-bone into that deer.

Each year I also rough up my brake disks, as they tend to get too smooth.. Last month I had used 40 grit sandpaper on both disks.

Safety first guys!

... In the evening in a car a passenger is EXPECTED to help watch for deer.

So true! Passengers know it's their job to be looking for deer and call them out when they see them. "DEER!"

RG, those new lines probably did make a difference!

Good to hear you're alright, and a good lesson.

I guess the braided steel lines allow for less pressure to dissipate via exanding rubber?

Yes and they give a better feel and aren't spongy so you have better control. If the old lines are spongy enough, under hard braking the lever can hit the bar and you won't have maximum stopping power.

Holy s..t!!

Riding a bike always mean you´re a little bit closer to death!! Besides driving on your own you´ll need to "drive for everyone else" out there......even animals.

I really like bikes with no frontbrake. It´s clean and gives a cool look to the bike but when it comes down to the real deal we all love to ride the bike and that´s hard if you´re missing front brakes.

Geee.....looking cool in the grave ain´t worth it.

The chicken:bike: /BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• FB059103.JPG
    FB059103.JPG
    255.6 KB · Views: 114
Wow that is just scary. I know it looks slick to not have a front brake but i would rather be able to stop. I was actually thinking of puting on a second brake on the front. That would look cool to right.. right. Well at leats I will be stopping quickly

I think duel disc brakes look cool. sporty bike lookin. I added the left disc and caliper. Braided Stainless lines DO make a difference. We have open cattle range around here. I have come across a bull in the middle of the road topping out a hill. Was glad I had the duel discs on the Super Glide I road at the time.

Good to know, was wondering about the brake lines. thinki will put that in the list of thigs to check. i noticed that you have the 17,33 gearing, how is that in the city ? i only have to drive a mile or so and then it is all hwy for me as i live in the middle of nowhere...

I think the 17/33 gearing is a compromise.

My bike had 17/36 when I bought it. It had super quick acceleration around town, but was reving about 4200 rpm at 100 km/hr.

Going to 17/33 brought the rpm down to 3900 at 100 km/hr. Low speed acceleration was reduced somewhat of course, but still just fine.

I guess you can't have it both ways (unless you change out the tranny 5 th gear). Some guys love the 17/30 for expressways.

I'm staying with the 17/33.

Hi.

At the moment I´m going with 750 pistions and a 17/29 setup and 18" rear wheel. It´s a tracker that get´s alot of gravel since I live in the middle of Sweden and it works just fine.
She´s getting real smooth around 75-80 mph and it works fine on the long runs. At the smaller roads you´ll just have to use the lower gears a bit more then with the 17/34 setup.

/BigBoreSwede

Back