Front Cam Chain Guide / Guide Stopper

strohk

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but is the black fiber/plastic piece of the front cam chain guide supposed to be able to come out of the aluminum support? Mine is in pretty good condition, but since it comes apart, I'm wondering if it's still ok to reuse or if I need to get a replacement.

Thanks!

So, you're telling me that duct tape would be a bad choice to reconnect my cam chain, too? Double shucks...

In case you haven't found a replacement, it appears to be available from YAMAHA, part 256-12231-01-00 GUIDE, STOPPER 1 for $88. Ouch!

In case you haven't found a replacement, it appears to be available from YAMAHA, part 256-12231-01-00 GUIDE, STOPPER 1 for $88. Ouch!
They can be found cheaper. Some as low as $48. Google the part number.

I read he is looking for a new supplier for that part.
Maybe someone from Mikes will respond.

Yep. $88.00 from Yamaha. Just ordered one a couple of days ago. Steep price and kind of hard to swallow, but what can you do.

Unfortunately, many of the parts 650Central sells are the same as the ones from Mike's. You'd have to ask about this one but chances are it's the same.

Nice comparison. One thing though, the one I have pictured is an original as far as I know. It's the one I found in my bike when I tore it down.

I will be the first to try my fix..... I have an original guide that the plastic fell off of. I roughed up the aluminum with a dremel, then a knife (cross hatch), then cleaned it. Roughed up the plastic the same way. Jb welded the two back together and used some small clamps and electrical tape till the JB set up. So far, it seems like it is back together very well, I have tried my darndest to get it to come apart. Needs a real world run test now..

FWIW, the guide was still together when I pulled it, but a quick pick with the ole finger nail and off the plastic came...seems like a shame to get rid of the original because of a poor bonding agent.

Yes, I'd love to be able to repair these things. Pretty much every engine I tear down has this thing falling apart inside. Keep us posted on the results.

Back