front end feels light

chilliwackwestie

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hello
Anyone have this issue, head on the motorway get up to 100 120 kph and the front end feels not planted at all.
I have a 74 xs650 with 78 front end, race tech valve emultors, 15w oil, forks pushed through the trees by 1 inch.
Cheers

Have you upgraded the rear shocks? If you still have the stock shocks, they won't support the rear. With the rear not holding up their end, the front end won't feel settled.

- ? ..., axles secure, correct spacers, same amount of fluid in each fork, wheel alignment, rear shocks, swingarm and shaft, wheel bearings, steering head bearings, ... ?
- welcome bc

You might try a fork brace. They really help on these bikes. Also, 1" up through the trees is quite a bit, try about 3/8" or 1/2".

That's only 60 mph so you have something bad wrong. Put it on the center stand then stick a block under the motor to hold the front end up. Grab the forks at the axle and pull toward you to see if there's play in the steering bearings. I agree that 1" is a lot (from what I've read). Try 0 and see what happens.

+2 something seems wrong. but go back to 0 and see how it acts. I kind of doubt that steepening the rake on a early bike is ideal.

I'm in the midst of a bunch of fork work right now, I guess you could say I'm "modding" the Minton Mods. With the springs out and the lowers slid all the way up, there's only about 7/8" between them and the lower tree. The dust wiper takes up another 1/2" to 5/8" of space. You definitely don't want the tubes 1" up in the trees.

PS I have often searched the whole front end looking for what turned out to be a rear wheel issue.

Back