Front end gets wobbly when leaning forward?

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
So many questions on this old bike,gettin dizzy! Here goes again.I noticed that when
driving strait at say 60 mph that if i lean forward on bike the front end will go into a speed wobble,shift my weight back and wobble stops,can someone comment on what would cause that,tires r aligned correctly ,balanced and run true front and rear,front fork fall away is set to 1/2" fall away off centre,have shimed the front (original springs) and runnin 10 weight oil to 6" below top off tubes.New Mikes rear springs/shocks (the Monza garbage) at middle setting,(150 lbs riding weight) all bushings,wheel bearings ,steering bearings new.I do notice a slight wobble when regular riding strait but its very slight and figured its just wind turbulence but could be wrong.Running 34F/32R air in Dunlop Spitfires.Starting to think i may need more preload in front or less in rear maybe,any thoughts on this.Thx

OK,my steering head bearings have a taken a second set-in i guess cause somehow the front end has way to much slop,the steering would fall away with out touching,tightened it up again and feels more solid now on hwy.No more wobble leanin in to it.

Perhaps you hadn't seated one of the outer races fully into the neck? Likely the bottom one.

Last edited:
Yes that's a possibility , had to turn the adjuster a 1/2 turn to get the correct fall away this time , had it perfect before.I have also noticed that my front forks seem really mushy soft again . I did have them shimmed with new 10 weight oil approx.5.5 " from top and all was good,but the original springs I have in there have given in a lil more again so am going to toss another shim in there to tighten it back up . Next season going with better rear shocks and either the Minton fork mod or a set off those optimizers I think there called.

Yes that's a possibility , had to turn the adjuster a 1/2 turn to get the correct fall away this time , had it perfect before.I have also noticed that my front forks seem really mushy soft again . I did have them shimmed with new 10 weight oil approx.5.5 " from top and all was good,but the original springs I have in there have given in a lil more again so am going to toss another shim in there to tighten it back up . Next season going with better rear shocks and either the Minton fork mod or a set off those optimizers I think there called.

I tried 10W in my forks, but found it to be too thin, with lots of front end dive i.e. mushy.

Put in 15W40, and have been using it for about 7 years now. Works very well for me.

RTG,15/40 that dosent sound like fork oil,is that a dino or syn ?
I did try 15 and 20 weight with a variety off shims and oil levels and settled on the 10 weight,i only weight 150 so couldent go to heavy.Whats your thoughts on the Minton mods vs optimizers i think there called.Also do u pefer strait rate or progressive springs.
Have read mixed reviews.I had installed proggressive in my last 80G and they were great initally then thay sacked out pretty quick and had to shim twice.By the time i was done they may have well been strait rate.Just my experience.

RTG,15/40 that dosent sound like fork oil,is that a dino or syn ?
I did try 15 and 20 weight with a variety off shims and oil levels and settled on the 10 weight,i only weight 150 so couldent go to heavy.Whats your thoughts on the Minton mods vs optimizers i think there called.Also do u pefer strait rate or progressive springs.
Have read mixed reviews.I had installed proggressive in my last 80G and they were great initally then thay sacked out pretty quick and had to shim twice.By the time i was done they may have well been strait rate.Just my experience.

Correct, it was not fork oil. I used 15W40 diesel motor oil as an experiment, and it worked so well I keep on using it.

I know absolutely nothing about Minton mods or optimizers, and I know nothing about fork springs. Hows that for honesty! If you bought aftermarket springs and they quickly stopped working properly, then I would say you bought junk springs, from a rip-off seller (any chance they were made in China?).

I have the stock fork springs that came from the Yamaha factory, many years ago, and I find they work just great. My bike has the 3 positions for the top of the forks, and I use the most compression position.

I know everyone likes to trash talk about stock parts on these bikes. Well, I continue to use the stock front springs, and the stock rear shock/spring units, because they were high quality from the factory, and still do a fine job.

Actually i find the front end not bad,but the rear Monza (Mikes xs) that my bike came with when i purchased it r terrible,I think the shocks r pouched and just riding the springs.If i could find a set off originals in good shape i would buy them,your correct on the quality original yama stuff,everything i have gotten to replace the factory issue is usually a lesser quality.I played with my front and rear shocks alot on my previous Harley 1200 Sportster as they were terrible and learned a great deal.Progressive shocks and springs r nice but still junk and dont last more than a few seasons.

Back