Front Fender I.D. needed -- non XS650

DogBunny

Motorcychologist
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I acquired this fender in a trade. Based on the source, my guess is 70s-early 80s Yamaha or Honda, but I really don't have a clue. This Forum is batting 100% on IDs that I've needed. Any help appreciated.
mystery fender.jpg

Looks like there may be a thin stamped metal brace in there, if so you may find a part number and manufacturers logo stamped on the brace.

Scott

Thanks for the help.
It had a hang tag on it that said "Yamaha XS650" which it obviously isn't. I just tried it out, and it is a perfect fit on an XS650 EXCEPT that it is canted -- the back ends up closer to the tire than it should, and the front too far away. Flip it, and you get the same thing, but reversed. But it is for a 19" wheel.
It looks like a mid 70s to early 80s street bike fender in the 500-750cc range. I didn't look at every single one, but I skimmed through Honda CBs and Yamaha XSs and came up empty. I also tried Suzuki GS and GN, and Kawasaki KZs, no luck, but I didn't look at every single one.
I don't see any numbers stamped on it.
It looks a really lot like the MikesXS aftermarket chrome XS650 fender:
66-7702[1].jpg

but different, and it is canted. I'm beginning to loose hope, but am still open to suggestions. Otherwise, it is now in the scrap pile, waiting for my next metal run to the salvage yard.

Hi Dogbunny:

You could just slot one hole on each side (I'd do the rear one) and correct the tilt. That would be an effective and easy fix and it would be invisible.

Frankly, it looks like a rather nice fender with good clean chrome and a rather unique and interesting design...seems a bit of shame to scrap it, especially since it fits the oldie-sized 19" wheel that our bikes run.

Yes, slotting holes to un-cant it would work. I might save it.
It has occurred to me that maybe it is an aftermarket fender just like the MikesXS one I posted the picture of above, for a CB or something. The big triangular cut-outs are similar, and distinctive. If someone gave you one of those MikesXS chrome fenders, and you weren't into XSs, you'd never ever I.D. it.

If the holes line up and the width is correct, that indicates it's likely a Yamaha. My guess is one of the XJ bikes. It's going to be one of the XJ bikes with a leading axle. When properly oriented, there should be a large gap at the back and almost rubbing the tire at the top. I know the XJ1200 incorporates a fork brace.

Your fender is XV750, 1981-83.
It has a leading axle and that's why the fender doesn't fit your bike.
Wow, thank you very much. Much Appreciated! Great logic and detective work.
Thanks to everyone who responded, and kudos to 2M for first summizing that it was for a leading axle.
This Forum continues to bat 100% for part I.D.s.

Back