Front Master Cylinder

Broski

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Looking for new handlebar controls. Originally was looking at the HHB master cylinder, but with me running 1" bars, that is no longer an option. Any good suggestions that won't break the bank and will give some improved braking performance? thanks.

How about looking to Harley-Davidson Sportster for controls. Does the HD 750 cc bike have 1" bars? Their switchgear is more like Japanese bikes.
Dime City Cycles has some one inch bar stuff. Have a look.

jet, I looked at Dime City, but everything I see is double the price of the HHB part, and in my opinion doesn't look as good... btw just noticed you are a fellow Mississippian.... next time you head south to the coast, look me up... Im in Gulfport/Biloxi

I suppose the best question is what difference in braking performance would I see from running a mc with a 14mm piston vs the stove 13mm.

Stock size is 14 mm. The 13 mm won't be much better. A 12 mm is good. Going to an 11 mm is better for some but a bit much for me.
Fining them in these sizes for 1" bars might be tough.
One thing you could do is to measure just how long the grip/controls are and cut that much off you 1" bars and have a section of 7/8" tubing welded onto the bars to use 7/8" controls.
This is how those 1 1/4 bars for Harley's are made.
Leo

Stock size is 14 mm. The 13 mm won't be much better. A 12 mm is good. Going to an 11 mm is better for some but a bit much for me.
Fining them in these sizes for 1" bars might be tough.
One thing you could do is to measure just how long the grip/controls are and cut that much off you 1" bars and have a section of 7/8" tubing welded onto the bars to use 7/8" controls.
This is how those 1 1/4 bars for Harley's are made.
Leo

I thought the stock was 13mm piston... if its 14mm that is just over 1/2" so I should be able to use 1/2" piston without any noticeable difference right?

I contacted this ebay seller
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233743604018
but they don't know the bore, would be a cheap experiment to buy one to find out. If no one else wants to, I'll buy one but just snagged a nice genuine yammy 11mm MC cheap. :sneaky: so don't have the need.
"Hello
Thank you for your email
I am sorry to tell you that since our warehouse is far away from our office,so I can't help you measure it.
Don't worry ,the item is fit for Yamaha YZ85 YZ125 YZ250 YZ490 XT125 XT225 XZ125 TTR125 250
https://imgus-vip.tongtool.com/r/757b7gaf5978g4885aad9g7d9989fagb9b76qwnd.jpg
If you need it ,please feel free to buy from our shop, we will send out to you asap.
Any questions please send message to us , we will do our best .
Warm regards
Suny"

Last edited:
Sorry just barging on your MC thread.
I did use a Chinese 1" chrome master cylinder on a Royal star venture, IIRC it was 14mm, an improvement from that bikes stock MC bore and it worked perfectly. (looked good too) I'm firmly in the a smaller bore MC is a needed change for better late XS650 front brake feel, action.

I used an 11mm for 1" bars bought off of Ebay on my 80 special (used a bronze bushing to fit 7/8 bars) from a 98 Honda VT750 shadow spirit.

I'm using a 1/2" (12.7mm) MC on one of my 650s and quite like it. It gives a bit better braking feel and modulation compared to the original 14mm but with not as much lever travel as an 11mm.

I really debated using a 1/2" and may try it on the next one to see how big a difference it makes.

To provide a data point for anyone thinking of trying an 11mm, I'm using mine with a blue spot caliper from an R6 (26% more piston area than stock) which should make it very soft but the braided stainless line counteracts most of that. It's still a little toward the "soft" side of the caliper/master cylinder ratio but I REALLY like the added braking power and the lever travel is fine. I could probably bring the lever all the way back to the grip if I made a point of it and squeezed like hell but the front would lock up way before that in the real world. In my case, using two fingers under heavy braking the lever is nowhere near hitting the knuckles of my other two fingers.

My aim was to have two finger braking like the upgraded brakes on the Concours and I have that for sure. Even one finger would suffice for most situations. YMMV

I really debated using a 1/2" and may try it on the next one to see how big a difference it makes.

To provide a data point for anyone thinking of trying an 11mm, I'm using mine with a blue spot caliper from an R6 (26% more piston area than stock) which should make it very soft but the braided stainless line counteracts most of that. It's still a little toward the "soft" side of the caliper/master cylinder ratio but I REALLY like the added braking power and the lever travel is fine. I could probably bring the lever all the way back to the grip if I made a point of it and squeezed like hell but the front would lock up way before that in the real world. In my case, using two fingers under heavy braking the lever is nowhere near hitting the knuckles of my other two fingers.

My aim was to have two finger braking like the upgraded brakes on the Concours and I have that for sure. Even one finger would suffice for most situations. YMMV
YSMV?

Back