Front sprocket removal

tbone1980

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I can not get the front sprocket off for the life of me! I tried bunching up some old chain links which worked to stop the gear from turning but with a three foot breaker bar attached to a 36mm socket I couldn't get it to come loose. I have used penetrating stuff on and that didn't help either. Just to make sure that I'm not missing something here it does turn to the left to loosen right!?!?!? One note to others don't bunch the chain against the lip the is just at the top of the gear where the engine casing meets the aluminum cover because I found out the you can bend it...:banghead: Thanks for any help you may have for me.

Yes it loosens to the left. I blocked mine with a wadded up towel. Usually they've worked themselves loose until they're finger tight. Because of that I drenched mine in locktite so I dread getting it back off someday. Maybe heat from a propane torch. Don't know what that would do to the rubber seal behind it, but the seal is easily replaced from outside.

on my bike the thing is on finger tight.... suppose i should fix that one day

on my girlfriends bike (81 special) it was locked on tight, i tried using a wrench with the bike in gear with no joy. got the ol' impact wrench out and she spun right off

I guess maybe I will have to try borrowing an impact from someone. I couldn't believe that I wasn't able to get it off. I was pretty much putting all of my weight on the thing.

get yourself one of these bad boys:
31n8omu0ZpL.jpg

one of the best tools in my set. also, $4.99 at Harbor Freight sometimes. Impact schmimpact :cheers:

yeah impact shrimpact when the head twists off and you punch the shit out of the bike and the rike rocks off the stand and you and the bike go crashing down in a bloody metallic pile. that is one tool i wouldnt trust from HF.:D

Once you get a good amount of pressure on the breaker bar whack the end of the breaker bar in the same direction as your turning. This whack sends a vibration down the handle through the socket into the nut. This helps break the grip of the nut to the shaft and sprocket.
One more thing, be sure the lock tab is flattened out against the sprocket, not up against the nut.
Leo

Yup two people constant pressure plus a bit of real BFH impact should do it. pb blaster or similar and a heat cool cycle or two won't hurt anything and might help. Sometimes a little tightening helps to loosen.

Back