Fuel line routing on a 1978 xs650 special

Sickxs650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi does any one have any pics or info on how the fuel lines are run on a 1978 special with 2 petcocks one on ether side of the tank and vac lines

Hope these help.......

Attachments

• cable%20routing%20left%20side.JPG
    cable%20routing%20left%20side.JPG
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,481
  • cable%20routing%20right%20side.JPG
    cable%20routing%20right%20side.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,521
thanks does not show how to hook 2 pet cocks up to 2 cabs but excellent for all the wires which iu needed as well

Run a gas line from the pet cock down between the carbs and j hook to the gas inlet. Same for both sides. A line about 3-4 inches long will work. A filter won't work so good with lines this short.
A 2 inch or so line on the pet cock, the filter then enough line to go under the carb and up between to hook to the gas inlet on the carb.
Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Although it may seem odd at 1st that MikesXS sells his fuel line in 11.5" lengths, he does that for a reason. Cut one in half and it provides 2 lines of the exact length needed for the older 2 petcock tanks.

Many people seem to think additional fuel filters are needed. That's simply not true. There are usually 2 provided by the factory, one on top of the petcock and another screen over the float needle seat. I've never added additional filters to any of my bikes over the last 40+ years and never had any problems. On the other hand, I read about fuel delivery problems all the time on lists like this from people who have added filters. I've personally worked on many bikes over the years that had issues because of added filters. Bottom line - clean your tank and don't add extra filters. They're more trouble than they're worth usually.

Last edited:
In the carbs the screen above the float valve is only on the BS34's the older carbs don't have the screen. I'm not so sure on when they put screens on the petcocks but my 75 didn't have any there either.
So some years had some filtration. Some didn't.
If you have good filters on the petcocks then you might not need extra filters. On my 75 with no filters, I run a pair of small lawn mower filters.

Back