Fuse in headlight?

HeBme2

XS650 Member
Reaction score
While trying to correct wiring issues in my 77 bike (PO cut a few wires) I found a small taped set of wires. :wtf: When I took the tape off there appears to be a little fuse, it tested bad. Does anybody know what this is and more important is can I replace it with a new style auto fuse?

Thanks

Jamie :bike:

HeBMe2,

The '77 models had a rear brake lining warning light. The warning light will come on when you start the engine as a lamp test. I believe what you have found is the diode that is part of the bulb test circuit. Try measuring the resistance both ways with your meter. One way it will read open, the other it will read about 500 Ohms, which is what a diode does when tested.

I believe that the wires connected to the diode are Black and White / Black but I could be wrong.

Pete, No brake lining light on my 77. Bought it new. Maybe earlier or later 77's?

Could be they discontinued it with later models including later '77's. I'm just looking at the wiring diagram for the XS650D model in the Haynes manual. That's a '77, right? I had an early '78/E and it did not have the brake lining warning light, so somewhere along the line they discontinued it.

In the diagrams I have the 77 only has one fuse. A 20 amp, in the red wire just a few inches from the battery. None "in" the headlight bucket.
What color wires are they?
Leo

I will have to look at the wires and let you know, I think they are black. Bikes at a friends garage so I have to wait till he gets home Sunday. Looking at the wiring diagram I don't see anything listed. :confused:

Jamie

Ok the wires are black and white/green, which on my new and more detailed wiring diagram shows it as a "distance warning". Is this for the rear brakes when they are worn out? :confused:

Jamie

That is a reed switch that goes in the back of the speedo. The turn signal self canceler uses it to know how far you have traveled since you turned the signal on. I would just leave it taped up or remove it and tape up the wires. I'd remove the self canceler too. Very unreliable, turns off the turn signals at bad times.
Leo

Thats helpful to know, the PO had already taken the turn signal shutoff control box off. With that I can reassemble the headlamp and try to get this bike on the road this weekend. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Jamie :bike: <~~Soon to be on the road!

Back