Garage Art

tools.jpg

Well, Jim, I don't expect Martha Stewart to do a spread on my shop any time soon either. Some of you guys have shops prettier than my living room!

I've got a few framed photos and such, you guys got tool boxes bigger than my Fiat, and lathes, and plasma cutters and welders and compressors, now THATS garage art! By the way, I wouldn't mind having that little Suzuki GT550 to dress up my garage either!

Yeah, it my look like a disorganised mess to the untrained eye, but I know where almost anything I need in the current project. Right now its the engine head for the KZ650/750GPz hybrid project. Lapping valves in then run under a parts cleaner with the oil pan too. Then reassemble the head.

Seems odd but I don't recall members mentioning a "Neway" valve cutter set ever ?
Though I've never owned a set, I had great success refreshing valve seats and actually cutting a 5 angle cut in my XJ650 Seca. These sets are very fun !
GKM-25005010_large.jpg

azman, in the 4th picture from the top, that looks suspiciously like a Shopsmith, or one of it's clones?

Details?

I bought a Shopsmith MK5 in the early 80's when I was in the Navy and had no room. Still have it, use the bandsaw and disc sander functions a lot, lathe occasionally. The rest I bought stand-alone machines for now that I have room.

Yep Downeaster. Real Shopsmith. Bought new in '95 or 96. Never used it very much. Dad had the 10E model.

This morning, the Syracuse flea market offered up this enchanting addition to my Garage Art Gallery.
1954, the year of my birth.

View attachment 110851

...which looks great alongside an old homemade wrench I got there this spring. Seems to have been fashioned from a large rasp:

View attachment 110852

View attachment 110853

I love it. For a long time I wanted a ‘56 Triumph because that was the year of my birth.
EC663D9F-35A3-4DD7-94F9-D934CC68ED3F.jpeg

But I sure wouldn’t mind a ‘56 Chevy Belair or a ‘56 Ford F-100!
242F099C-F7D0-458B-A9B8-CC630E1578B9.jpeg
928FCA98-9E84-4D6E-B75A-6D59FB6BE70F.jpeg

My garage art.
Framed picture of my dad with the old Oliver 88 tractor he restored. Don’t let the overalls fool you, he was born a farmer but died a very accomplished man. ( Who passed on to his son, his love of all things mechanical). A Seargent in WW2 and my personal hero.
View attachment 110431
My dear departed father in law, who was a sailer in his youth, next to his now defunct power drill.
View attachment 110430
Elvis on a Triumph, Johnny Cash because he’s, well....Johnny Cash.
View attachment 110432
A Collage framed picture with photos of my uncle John, the worlds coolest old hippie, on assorted BSA’s , Norton’s, and I think even a Honda. Plus me on my old Triumph and photos of my old BMW.
A quick story about my uncle. He is a super accomplished welder, and self made wealthy.
But the coolest story is how he met the woman he’s been living with for the last forty years.
He was riding his Norton fastback cross country and he pulled into a road side rest stop. He met her there, she hopped on to the back of his bike and never got off.
View attachment 110433
This years calender, with Micks beautiful old ‘75
View attachment 110434
19 year old me on my Yamaha XT500
View attachment 110435
A whole bunch of framed Triumph pictures.
View attachment 110436
And various Post Office signage, I hope nobody missed those!
View attachment 110437 View attachment 110438

Love that calendar Bob...Thanks for that, now I feel sad I let her go, but you never know, there could always be one sitting in the wings somewhere for me, i really like the 75B the way I chose that bike is a story in its self.... :(

Had a quiet day today and thought I would try something a bit different rather than just fixing the bike.
Dug an old piston out and after a bit of browsing on the internet for inspiration had a go at carving it. I already had an old conrod polished up as it was a failed attempt at a bottle opener (got the opener bit wrong). Not really into skulls and suchlike but I sort of like it and it looks ok in the cabinet

2017_1228fireplacecomp.jpg

THAT is cool! And I'm not a skull kinda guy.

Had a quiet day today and thought I would try something a bit different rather than just fixing the bike.
Dug an old piston out and after a bit of browsing on the internet for inspiration had a go at carving it. I already had an old conrod polished up as it was a failed attempt at a bottle opener (got the opener bit wrong). Not really into skulls and suchlike but I sort of like it and it looks ok in the cabinet

.View attachment 111222
You've got some talent there, Signal.

Nicely done Signal! I’ve never done anything like that - can I ask how you did the carving?

Pete

Azman and Yamadude thank you for the positive coments.
MaxPete it was done with normal hand tools. I did try using a dremmel but found it difficult to control.

First stripped the rings off, then bead blasted the piston. Then used drill, hacksaw and files to shape it. Buffed the “face” then taped over it and re bead blasted the piston. The hardest part by far was the design the rest just normal workshop stuff.

• upload_2018-1-1_13-9-24.png upload_2018-1-1_13-10-30.pngupload_2018-1-1_13-15-56.pngupload_2018-1-1_13-18-30.png
New England version of garage art. ( learning to spray monster metal flake for a 60's - 70's psychedelic BSA paint job I got on deck)
waiting for the curators @ Museum of Modern Art , The Guggenheim, or Luhring Augustine in Brooklyn to call.........nothing yet.

this is what happens when you can't go to the shop to work: -14 below this am, colder tomorrow.

Back