Gas in oil, and filter issue's

CalsXS2

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
So I picked up a 75 650 motor and a pile of part's for cheap. The guy bought it as a project bike, so the history is unknown. He said he had it fired up, but is was pouring gas out of the carb. He said it would rev good, no knock's or smoke. God I hope it turns out to be a good motor.

So there's gas in the oil. Not a lot though. But I can smell it. The oil level is low. I called the dealer for a new oil filter. Not knowing any better, all I came home with is the small secondary filter. Well the screw's to the cover are striped. So I can't change that with out a lot of work. And no one has the sump filter. Do I dare run this motor with out changing the filter's. I just want to make sure the motor is good before I spend a bunch of money on it. What I'm mainly worried about is the sump filter. Could the gas have made it deteriorate, and let some partial's get where I don't want them. I didn't see anything in the oil that I drained.

So can I run it just to see if it's good. Or don't dare with out changing the filter's. Thanks.

I would start it up, after changing the gassy oil out. But you need to address the filters. Search on sump filter to find out what to do about that one. For the side filter bolts, I guess I would have the holes welded with aluminum and tap. Never noticed if the holes go all the way into the case or not, so maybe a new right cover would take care of it. If the side filter is such that it won't allow oil pressure I wouldn't start it.

Drain the oil (both drain plugs), and remove the sump filter. The sump filter probably is ripped, but can be easily repaired with some JB weld (use the "Search" box). You also want to remove and clean the right side filter..................perhaps drill and use an "easy-out" to get the bolts out.

I would also re-build the carbs (float valves passing).

Don't be in a rush to run the engine, take your time and do it right.

I've got fresh rebuilt carb's from the original motor, so that's not a problem. I seen Mikes has a reinforced filter too. Now I just got to get the damn side cover off. I'm not looking forward to this job. Every screw on that side is rounded out. If it wasn't such a nice side cover, I would just dremal a slot in the screw's. Guess I'll try the easy out method. Thanks.

If it wasn't such a nice side cover, I would just dremal a slot in the screw's.

You should be able to dremel a slot in the bolts without hurting the cover. Use a cylindrical burr. Preferably a diamond burr. Should be pretty easy with the big round hole in the middle of the bolts. I'd use a hammer impact driver on them once they were slotted. Most of the bolts you can probably buy at the hardware store. Two or three are longer and threaded just at the end, which you could probably have a dealer order.

Use a 3/16 or 7/32 drill bit. Use this bit to drill the heads off the bolts. Drill into the holes were the Allen wrench goes. Drill just deep enough the heads come off the bolts.
Remove the cover.
The bolts will probably spin out with your fingers. If not a pair of pliers or vise grips will get them.
Take all the bolts to the hardware store. Use the bolts to get new bolts the right length.
I can't say how many thousands of bolts I have removed this way. Never a problem. Most spin out with the fingers.
Leo

Well I'm a little embarrassed. I was late, and I was tired when I was working on this thing last night. I just looked at it to see what I could do. It was easy. I just used a allen wrench instead of a Phillips screwdriver. :doh: Oh well. I got it off but didn't like what I found. Check my other thread.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11103

Back