Gas Milage

So...thought I would give an update on what I've done. I believe I've fixed it. I also think I caused it too. Though, not sure how it really happened. When I leaned the needles out, I ran it about 165 miles with no troubles. Then during the ride, I gave it hell. The problems of the feeling of running out of gas, and missing started after the giving it hell. Since then, I've made sure the carbs were clean, and put the needles back in the original position. I sured up exhaust leaked, put new carb boots on, new voltage regulator. New auto advance springs. After the last time of taking the carbs off, to put the new boots on, I noticed something weird in the carbs. I was looking at the air box side and one of the carb pistons looked higher than the other. This was the left side. I also notice fuel build up at the base of the cylinder leading to the air box, also left side. So during a more detailed look, I noticed the needle was out and just dangling out side the slide. I took the top of the carb off, spring, plate and put the needles back in the slide. Can anyone tell me how the heck the needles popped out? When I leaned it the first time, did the plate not seat correctly inside the piston? Did I put the plate in upside down? Well, I made sure it was flush, and it runs normal again. Just wanted to give an update. Sorry if this is hard to follow. Typing on my phone..:banghead:

Motorshag, thanx for the update and closure. It's amazing how many things can cause the same problem. I never thought of misplaced needle, but have done it a couple times in the past, just caught it during reassembly. It's easy to have it pop out while dropping slide into place, catches side of jet.

You're now a full-fledged member of the 'oops' club, welcome aboard...

Back