Gas Station Sushi

GeorgeKillianLett

Pretty new to bikes.
Reaction score
Intro
I've always been interested in bikes since the day my dad gave my brother and I an old Harley Dual Sport to ride, but it's been years since then. I was married with children and no bike and I thought that what I wanted was going to be out of reach until retirement. Then, I stumbled across "The Horse Backstreet Choppers Magazine" and I saw what was being done with the XS650! So for the last year and a half I've been lurking in the Forums looking for ideas and throwing a comment in here and there.

Experience
That would be zip for motorcycles! I have replaced the engine in my 73 Ford Bronco (I'd kill to have that back), The transmission in my 91 Ford Ranger, replaced radiators,brake pads, rotors and lifted multiple trucks and sport utilities. Normally I jump in headfirst and figure it out as I go. So I'm mechanically inclined, it's just something I haven't done yet.

So... this is where the build name "Gas Station Sushi" comes into play!
Did you ever have an idea that seemed great at the time but once you took time to think about you asked yourself, "What was I thinking"?

I picked up a 76 XS off Craigslist and the downward spiral began there!

479811_1949039943235_1676536607_n.jpg

The emails back and forth with the PO started out "Title is good & engine turns (I've not had it running) but the previous owner rode it".
In all fareness, it was $500.00 and nothing else was showing up at the time. I was planning on only using it for the title and sending it out to Voodoo Vintage. So sure enough the engine wasn't seized but the problem was the title. It wasn't in his name and the PO was overseas. Several months later I get the title in an envelope. I open it up and :eek: :wtf: It was signed over by the previous PO and now in the PO's name. So now I have to get ahold of him and get it signed over to me. It's all being taken care of and I'm not having any problems with the PO. It's just not going as smoothly as I thought it would at the time.

So this is what I got for the $500.00

[/IMG]

Most important thing I did learn from you guys! Get a manual! It came with the bike!

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

So I got a lot of stuff that I'm not sure I'll even use or what it's worth! :shrug:

I figured I'm only out $500.00 and I have all the extra parts but I'm sure I'll get the title taken care of so I went ahead and sent the neck tube out to David Roy @ Voodoo Vintage and wait.

221331_2383665568604_1262854267_o.jpg

This is what I'm shooting for in my build! It's the Willow bike built by Troy Helmick

willow_profile_small.jpg

This is a concept drawing by David Roy that pretty much fit what I was looking to do!

425089_10151510923595001_1078413948_n.jpg

So in the mean time I start looking for a tank because I want something different. I picked this up off of eBay and thought it would look cool!

[/IMG]

About eight to ten weeks later I get an update from David showing me my frame.

542942_2525598516839_381413916_a.jpg

A day or so later, it's ready for shipping.

263783_2544172941188_990090728_n.jpg

Just before Christmas I found this sitting on my front porch!

[/IMG]

So I started playing around with the forks and tank immediately.

[/IMG]

And yes I included this one because I looked at it for half an hour trying to figure out why it looked wrong :confused: before I realized the forks were on upside down!
Knowing I would get laughed at for being a noob but willing to show I don't know squat!

[/IMG]

I finally got my son away from Black-Ops long enough this weekend to help me
strip parts off of the donor and throw them on my new Voodoo Vintage MK6A
frame. I need to get with Hugh @ HHB and get a fork lowering kit as soon as I
figure out how much I need to lower it (I'm thinking 3")
I'm really happy with the stance though! :D

[/IMG]

I've had this tank off of a Yamaha MX400 for almost 6 months and I'm still not
sure it's going to work like I originally thought! I want to "frisco" it but
I'm not sure it will look right.

[/IMG]

I'd really like to grab Dave's Voodoo Vintage Split Fuel Tank which was
designed for the frame "after the frame came out" but I am going to have to
come up with some cash to do that!

601539_10152767598340001_1685796594_n.png

I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the exhaust or not as well and yes that's a lot of pizza boxes!

[/IMG]

I'm also looking at a setup like this for the seat.

dsc00689_s5tl.jpg

I want to hit Pov67 up for one of his awesome seats to go with it!

DSC01700-1.jpg

So there you have it! Gas Station Sushi

I know I'm going to catch a rash of crap for everything I've done wrong so far
(still working on title)
and I had the best of intentions in each situation!
One way or the other I will get this build done and I'll get it done right.....it just might not be the first try everytime! :banghead:

So I am looking forward to asking a crap load of question and getting going on this build!

Attachments

• 3b0f9845.jpg
    3b0f9845.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0408_zpsab6458d2.jpg
    IMAG0408_zpsab6458d2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0411_zps073ed4ea.jpg
    IMAG0411_zps073ed4ea.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0412_zps3d68bdaf.jpg
    IMAG0412_zps3d68bdaf.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0410_zps8cb73350.jpg
    IMAG0410_zps8cb73350.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0409_zpsc96322ad.jpg
    IMAG0409_zpsc96322ad.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0413_zpsf24907d7.jpg
    IMAG0413_zpsf24907d7.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0414_zps8ace94a8.jpg
    IMAG0414_zps8ace94a8.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0491_zps87d56384.jpg
    IMAG0491_zps87d56384.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 3
  • JohnnyTarr_zps176a9203.jpg
    JohnnyTarr_zps176a9203.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0649_zps6345e83b.jpg
    IMAG0649_zps6345e83b.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSC_6821_zps1f4c2d92.jpg
    DSC_6821_zps1f4c2d92.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0660_zps39c98dc5.jpg
    IMAG0660_zps39c98dc5.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0661_zps792f0849.jpg
    IMAG0661_zps792f0849.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 3
  • IMAG0662_zpsea4ff25d.jpg
    IMAG0662_zpsea4ff25d.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 3
Man it takes a real pair to go as far as you did on your first built. man If you need any help hit me up I don't live that far away and will help you out with anything I can. I'd buy those split tanks if can they look great!

Posted via Mobile

your doing everything wrong and you are bound for failure!

Ok thats done :)

HHB PMA is a god damn must, especially since with a nice little frame like that you're not gonna want to be messing it up with a battery, although I see you have purchased some sort of moon ignition from mars that will probably need one, but ballistic makes a real small battery that you can hide.. I highly recommend new carbs since getting any CV carb to work without airboxes is a pain, plus new carbs wont be worn out. while the engine is out you might as well freshen up the top end and put a new cam chain and guides in.

Man it takes a real pair to go as far as you did on your first built. man If you need any help hit me up I don't live that far away and will help you out with anything I can. I'd buy those split tanks if can they look great!

Posted via Mobile

Thanks for the offer Irish! I might hit you up on it later down the road when I get in over my head! I wouldn't be this far if you hadn't encouraged me to jump head first into the build off!

your doing everything wrong and you are bound for failure!

Ok thats done :)

HHB PMA is a god damn must, especially since with a nice little frame like that you're not gonna want to be messing it up with a battery, although I see you have purchased some sort of moon ignition from mars that will probably need one, but ballistic makes a real small battery that you can hide.. I highly recommend new carbs since getting any CV carb to work without airboxes is a pain, plus new carbs wont be worn out. while the engine is out you might as well freshen up the top end and put a new cam chain and guides in.

Thanks ProSimex! It wouldn't be any fun if it were easy! As far as purchases go, everything you see was thrown in for the $500.00. My limits will be what I can do with cash on hand! First things first is to start getting parts cleaned up and mocked up. When I get some more cash your suggestions are spot on and Part of the plan. I just need more money! Thanks again!

Go Big or go home George. That frame is with out a doubt.....Sick. Your off to a good start man. Good luck. Going to have to take a ride down your way sometime and check this beast out

nice start.......save money get the split tank for sure ....screw the rest get that motor running and ride it........"gas station sushi".. how could you go wrong

Go Big or go home George. That frame is with out a doubt.....Sick. Your off to a good start man. Good luck. Going to have to take a ride down your way sometime and check this beast out

Thanks h3llb3nt1! Just let me know ahead of time so that I have some beer in the fridge! :cheers:

Ok couldn't see the whole post on my phone but was able to see it on my computer! Frame looks so good.

Hey jdizon! No worries! I have to switch back and forth between work PC, smartphone and home laptop just to catch everything on here. It's the MK6A frame and David Roy does great work!

Best fucking bike name ever.

Thanks Tron! Sometimes you get to name your work and others, your work names itself!

nice start.......save money get the split tank for sure ....screw the rest get that motor running and ride it........"gas station sushi".. how could you go wrong

GRIMM! That's the exact kinda thinkin that's got me to where I am! :laugh: The ideas all sound good at the time but bite me in the ass later! I'm prayin for common sense and a heads up when I'm doing something wrong, otherwise this is going to be a long build!

Thanks everybody for the look and the welcome to the forum!

Are you going to cry when your son claims it as his?
You might as well give up and start ordering everything in pairs.:)

Split wassell tank and girder would look sweet on that frame.

xs650-chop-noid-IMG_2577-587x391.jpg

xs650-chop-noid-IMG_2593-587x391.jpg

You're exactly right jdizon!

That's BHall's TCU BBO xs650, one of my favorite bikes!

I deffinitely have the right eye for what I believe would look awesome, It all depends on budget and know how! He claims to have bent everything using a tree on that build! I'd be happy with the right tools and an idiot guide! I'd figure out the rest! LOL!

BTW jdizon, I can't see your pictures here @ work! I had to use my smartphone to see what you were talking about and then reply to the post on my work PC which is easier than my smartphone! :banghead:

Back