Gday Folks

Nialls

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Been hanging around here for years taking in all the wonderful tips and information from all you knowledgeable peoples so i thought i better do an intro.
A friend gave me a French Blue 1975 XS650-C basket case with 14000 k's on the clock
I have done the flat tracker thing with it using Omars seat, tank, mile pipes, fork brace and a few other bits an pieces .
Some of the mods that have been done
Toyota Corolla electronic ignition replacing the points
G.M. Coil packs
Yamaha RD 350 charging magneto
Yamaha big single disk replacing the heavy twin disk set up
Honda V4 brake calliper
Katana swing arm shaft and bronze bushes
I'll attach a couple of very old photos of the bike, new ones coming soon as it is on the road to completion . Life side tracked me for awhile and the bike has been in the shed for a few years all that changed after reading the ninja 500 cvk Keihin carby thread as i was having trouble with the Mikuni flat slides from a snow mobile a friend brought back from the States anyway i bought a set of gpz 500 Keihins. i should be up and running when i order the new sized jets and needles. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 09302009026.jpg
    09302009026.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 235
  • 09302009028.jpg
    09302009028.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 221
Welcome. You will not be disappointed with the GPZ CVK carbs. I am curious about in the ignition system you have, could you supply some more information please.

Signal i will have to refresh the old grey matter, i think it was 650 central where the idea came from. I'm more than happy to give you info , i remember cannibalising a toyota dizzy and modifying the relucter by removing two of the tongues that activate the toyota magnetic pick up. Quite a simple mod, when i get home from holidays i'll take a few close up photo's i used a Holden Commodore coil pack it does deliver a healthy zap !

Just wanted to say If your bike is a C model then it's a 76, the 75 was the B model. The 76 might have a manufactured date of 75. The manufacture year doesn't line up with the calendar year. The manufacture year starts August of one year to July of the following year. As in Aug of 75 to July 76 are 76 C models.
Leo

Leo thanks for mentioning that conundrum , when looking at emulsion valves for the front forks i was getting a little confused as to what model i have due to the head stem tag saying November 1975 . It's definitely a C model according to the engine #'s and the French blue paint scheme which came out on the C model apparently .

Looks nice and tidy and interesting changes, not the norm. Pics and explanations would be great.

Color wont guarantee the model, but the C model has a one year only 34mm forks with the tabs for the calipers and brake line facing the rear of the forks. The 74/75 34mm forks have been swapped over so the caliper tabs are on the rear like the C but the brake tab is facing forward. Off course some have swapped the C forks into the earlier 74/75 as well

Skull i see the plot thickens , when i picked the bike up the front end was disassembled so i don't know if the callipers were front or rear mounted. I think i could have done the wrong thing by grinding the lugs off and smoothing off one of the lower legs as it was a twin disk set up which i intended to sell . It may need one of the lower legs for the twin calliper set up. Guess i will find out which forks they are when i take them apart, when i return to the banana bending republic i'll have closer look at them and take some new pics .

Back