gear shift shaft E clip size and location

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
can anyone please help me with the size of the E-Clip that holds the gear shift shaft in place so that I can order one up? Boats have it as their part number 99001 12600-00
How easy is it to fit one by just removing the LH cover ?

I must have dislodged my clip by some over enthusiastic kicking :bike:. I noticed that the shift lever was scraping the alternator cover and when I removed the lever it was clear that there was about 10mm+ axial movement in the gear shift shaft where the spline exits the cover.
I've shimmed it with some washers temporarily to test the gear shifting

Update
Well good news !.....the temporary shims have worked and I can get all the gears once again so I'll order up a multi size set of E-clips and remove the cover when this rain stops

Last edited:
thanks twomany I wasn't sure if the E-clip size was 12mm as it sits in a cutout so I ordered a selection pack which is bound to come in useful.:wink2:

thanks Carbon ...I couldn't remember much from my engine build 2x years ago so I wasn't certain how accessible the circlip is. i've probably got a video or image somewhere on a back up drive.
Whilst I'm in there I'll renew the springs and check adjust the tangs .I might need to renew the tang part too.

Back