Gearing? 17tx30t? 2 Riders?

BlackBandit

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a question before i purchase a lower tooth rear sprocket. I weigh 270lbs pretty much 2 riders haha but what im gettin at is i live in utah and mountains, hills, and canyons are part of everyday riding but i want a low freeway rpm for traveling around 3200 rpms ideally currently 5800ish at 72mph. Im thinking stock front 17t sprocket but goin from 34t rear to a 30t rear the only thing im worried about is 1st gear take off mainly on hills or mountains my bike has 20,000 so shes not real young haha. Would a 1.76 (17tx30t gearing) or something like that rear gearing compared to 2.22 (17tx34t gearing) have a great affect on my bike during takeoff on hills with my 270lbs? Its stock engine, recent valve lash job, cleaned up points system and points gap, TM38mm Flatslides with UNI pod filters, Hughs handbuilt PMA, and the previous owner supposedly had a race clutch and stiffer clutch springs installed 10k ago.

0329131134-00.jpg

0320131413-00.jpg

I think im gonna go with the 30t there are some bad inclines around me but my current gearing had no trouble at all with them and the 30t is only a 400rpm drop at 20mph compared to the 34t so at 5mph should be a drop of 350rpms from 34t to 30t i think the race clutch can handle the lower grunt if that sprocket dont work ill turn around and sell it on ebay with a bunch of other new stuff that i bought for my xs and i dont need now and buy a 32t. This from pamcopete really helps : www.amckayltd.com/xs650revs.xls

I ran a 17/30 tooth combo for several years... I liked it, first was low enough, I rode 2 up a lot, I live in mountainous country... You should try it... it will be plenty drive-able. You may find that you prefer diff gearing, trial and error here, but you won't be stuck with an unbearable situation with the 17/30 combo. Having said all that... my current build up is with a 17/38 combo as I am aiming for some off road use.

Back