Getting the ‘57 beetle back on the road in 2024

IMG_3997.jpeg
IMG_3998.jpeg
IMG_4015.jpeg
IMG_4020.jpeg
IMG_4023.jpeg
I'm not super fussy but amazed you were able to resist tapping the dent out of that tail light fairing. :umm:
I find it shocking how many toss out old shocks just cuz the covers are rusty.
This comment motivated me to clean up the rear shocks. Ugly as sin but a ride on the wire wheel and a coat of paint made them look acceptable. They still had plenty of damping force with no leaks. All the original mounting hardware was retained and after several days in Evaporust, they came out looking like new. I rescued most of the original hardware (so far) this way and today “painted” the raw nuts, bolts and washers with ACF50. Click to see pics…

IMG_4027.jpeg
IMG_4029.jpeg
IMG_4031.jpeg
Beetle time. The rear bumper is mounted with 4 x 8mm bolts, yes 8mm, all of which broke when I removed the bumper 25 years ago. Fortunately for me there was a decent length of rusted bolt shank sticking out of the body. My first thought was to weld on a nut and back out the stud. I did that and it worked. The rearmost bolts were close to the rear fender in a tight spot so welding or a torch weren’t my best options. I bought an induction heater years ago and this seemed to be an ideal application. See the attached crappy video. After heating the broken bits they came out with vise grips and penetrating oil. Some were in really bad shape so I’m surprised they came out. The induction heater was costly but a great tool.

Too bad they are so expensive
If someone knows a seller not so expensive + working one please tell

That is a cool tool.
Even tho it gets hot it is cool!

Too bad they are so expensive
If someone knows a seller not so expensive + working one please tell
The Chinese (Vevor) have a knock off for about 1/3 of the price of this one - surprise, surprise. Not sure of the quality. I’m pretty sure mine is made in China too. lol. If you buy it on Amazon and you’re not happy with it you can probably return it (check first though). The Chinese coils are apparently quite a bit cheaper too. I bought the coils in a kit and they’ll probably last my lifetime with the amount of use they’ll get.

The loose coil at the bottom left of the last photo can be wrapped around a part to heat it up. I’m thinking this will come in handy when removing the frozen idler pins in the front end.

Not recommending the one in the pic below - it’s just an example of what’s out there.

IMG_4205.png

IMG_4046.jpeg
IMG_4059.jpeg
IMG_4060.jpeg
Under the hood there’s a “trunk liner” that looks like it may have been for sound deadening purposes. It’s some fibre material impregnated with a tar like substance. The one corner was peeled back and every time I pushed it back into position, 10 minutes later it folded itself back. I brought out the hair dryer, got it hood and hot and weighed it down to cool overnight. I’ll see tomorrow if it stayed put.

Remember I said I blew out a metal line on my Ghia? It was this one... the one that goes from the master, back to the rear splitter. Don't foget to replace this one.

View attachment 263571
Yes I will Jim. I will replace the master first. This line isn’t too difficult to change because it runs through the interior of the car. The fuel line is routed through the tunnel and I’m keeping my fingers crossed I don’t have to replace that one.

Last edited:
View attachment 263561View attachment 263562View attachment 263563View attachment 263564View attachment 263565View attachment 263566Here’s some under hood shots. Take note of the ‘57 high tech wiring and fuse panel. With the fuel tank out, front brakes should be pretty easy. I need flex lines, hard lines, master cylinder, brake shoes, brake hardware and idler pins.
Strange as it seems, I can smell that ancient jute fiber seat stuffing and the decades old grease, oil and grime from here. Ahh the memories!

Saw the dune buggy from my earlier post, I decided not to go with it cause it was WAY more work than I could take on anytime soon. Fiberglass is in really bad shape. He will be giving it away.

Saw the dune buggy from my earlier post, I decided not to go with it cause it was WAY more work than I could take on anytime soon. Fiberglass is in really bad shape. He will be giving it away.
Good call.

Vic, you are making great strides with this cool old car. Soon we will hear it purring in your driveway.

Back