Getting the rear wheel straight

curt698

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Got my nice new tire mounted and have the wheel back in the swing arm but I'm not sure if there is a trick to making sure it is straight. Do I just measure the adjuster bolts and make sure the same amount is showing on each side?

Thanks,
Dave

my circular saw has a line laser that i used. Just another source of a strong, clear laser.

Measure from the swing arm pivot bolt grease fitting to the center of the axle, make each side the same.

what would happen to the ride if the wheel was not straight? How sensitive would this be (eg, you don't notice if it's 1/2" or less or something like that)?

Excessive wear. On your chain, sprocket and tire.
Far enough your chain will bind trying to fit to the sprocket.
After you do the adjustment like XSLeo decribed look at the chain on the sprocket.
Is the sprocket riding in the middle of the chain? Top, bottom and back.

The book calls for 1/16 or less run out.
An excessive vertical run out will make it feel like the wheel is bouncing up and down.
An excessive side to side will make it feel like the bike feel like it is swerving side to side.
The spec given will make these problems minimal. At what point you feel them is dependent on your ability to feel the way the bike rides and just how far out of spec the wheel is. If a person is new to riding and isn't very receptive to what the bike is won't realize just how far out of spec a wheel is. A very experienced rider with a well tuned machine will notice a problem much sooner.
The new guy might not feel anything with the wheel a half inch out, the more experienced might feel it 1/32 out.
Get them as straight and round as you can. If you can't get them very good get them trued. It's money well spent.
Leo

Back