GETTING THERE

Steven Simpson

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Recently got my XS build started thanks to all of you experts (kick only, no charging system yet) but quickly realized i didnt add in my key or kill switch.

I was hoping to use just a key (for now, working to get a smaller on/off switch) and I wired the red from the orignal key to my hot red wire from my battery.

This did nothing.

Im not familiar with a switched hot wire or how it would work, just hoping to get some insight so when my bike is started i can shut it off (and on) by the key only? Do i need to connect the other two wires somewhere.

(ALL OF MY WIRING IS FROM SCRATCH)

The kill switch is in line to the ignition of the bike. It needs to be connected or bypassed. You can locate the hot feed from the ingniton switch and bypass the kill switch or better yet use a relay to feed your ignition directly from your battery.

Yes, you need to connect up some, or at least one of the other wires. Red is power into the ignition switch from the battery. Brown is usually power out to all the various circuits on the bike and blue is usually power out to the tail light.

OK, I have done my wiring from scratch but I have all the shit from the stock harness in a bundle. would I route the "brown" from the alternator up to one of the wires on the light?

Its from TC bros and here is their wire description.

"Chrome Bates style 5.75" diameter Halogen headlight. Classic styling looks great on choppers and bobbers! Light includes blue high beam indicator light on top of housing. Wire colors are Blue (high beam 12V+), White (low beam 12V+), Yellow (high beam indicator 12V+), and Green (ground)."

Come from battery positive to main fuse, from the main fuse to the switch. From the switch to the rest of your fuses.
This way when you turn the key off everything stops.
Leo

Back